Melita, contract termination

This may be of interest to some:

Subscribers are entitled to a contract when subscribing to such service/s. This contract may specify an initial contract period which, by law, cannot exceed 24 months. Should subscribers wish to terminate a service during this initial period, the service provider can charge what are described as ‘early termination charges.' It is important to note that these early termination charges cannot be applied when terminating a service under a contract which has been renewed after the initial contract period (which cannot exceed 24 months) had expired.

The MCA is aware of a number of instances where early termination charges were being applied by Melita plc to those subscribers who terminated services after a renewal of contract had taken place and after the initial 24 month-period had elapsed.
By means of this Directive, Melita plc is being required to desist, with immediate effect, from such practices.

Moreover, Melita plc is also being required to refund any early termination charges, upon justified requests by subscribers, to those who terminated their service after a renewal of contract had taken place and after which the initial 24 month-period had elapsed. Such subscribers are encouraged to contact Melita plc directly.

http://www.mca.org.mt/service-providers … lity-early

I guess this means that if you have had a contract with them for more than 2 years then there is no fee for terminating that  contract subject to a written one month notice.
However if you change the terms of your contract IE opt for a fast download or more channels, that would be deemed as a new contract and the 2 year clock would start again.

tearnet wrote:

I guess this means that if you have had a contract with them for more than 2 years then there is no fee for terminating that  contract subject to a written one month notice.
However if you change the terms of your contract IE opt for a fast download or more channels, that would be deemed as a new contract and the 2 year clock would start again.

I guess so too :(

tearnet wrote:

only if you sign a new contract