Law re Turkish Residence Permits

WARNING TO ALL EXPATS LIVING IN TURKEY

After my recent marriage in Istanbul I had to inform the Emniyet of my change of address and my married status. I thought this would be quite easy to do, with my just having to go to the local Emniyet and inform them. Boy was I wrong!!! Due to our just being married I did not really think much about changing my details. When two weeks later in early May I went to the Emniyet to change them, I was surprised when informed I had to do this online. It is not possible to apply at an Emniyet. On going online and eventually finding the right website, I was shocked to find the first available appointment was not until 14 August. At the same time I found that I would have to pay a fine for being approx 2 weeks late in applying for an appointment. On going to the Emniyet with my Turkish wife for my appointment, the officer dealing with me was very helpful. After he had filled in various forms he informed my wife that I had to go to a police station near our house, which was some distance away to sort out my fine. On going there we were given a paper and informed that we had to first get it signed by the Kaymakam. On going there his secretary informed us he was on holiday. However, she was very helpful and after a phone call arranged for us too go to another district where the Kaymakam would sign the paper. She also informed us that once we had the paper signed, we had to bring a copy back to her. We then drove to the Kaymakam office had the paper signed and took a copy back to the secretary. She then informed us of another office where we would have to pay the fine. We then went and paid the fine, then returned to the police station where we showed them the fine receipt. They informed us to take the fine receipt back to the Emniyet. Here after giving in the paper, a few minutes later I was given my updated residence permit. This whole process took 5 hours with our having to go from one office to another. We had a car and driver who was able to quickly take us from one place to the other. Without him, it would have cost quite a bit of money in taxi fares. Also without my wife speaking Turkish I hate to think of the trouble I could have had, as I myself do not speak Turkish.

On asking we were informed that inside a residence permit it states that one has 15 days to notify a change of address and only 48 hours to notify a change of married status. By paying my fine when I did my fine was reduced from 145TL to 108TL

So remember, if having a residence permit, changing ones address or married status, notify the Emniyet ASAP

Tigerman wrote:

WARNING TO ALL EXPATS LIVING IN TURKEY

After my recent marriage in Istanbul I had to inform the Emniyet of my change of address and my married status. I thought this would be quite easy to do, with my just having to go to the local Emniyet and inform them. Boy was I wrong!!! Due to our just being married I did not really think much about changing my details. When two weeks later in early May I went to the Emniyet to change them, I was surprised when informed I had to do this online. It is not possible to apply at an Emniyet. On going online and eventually finding the right website, I was shocked to find the first available appointment was not until 14 August. At the same time I found that I would have to pay a fine for being approx 2 weeks late in applying for an appointment. On going to the Emniyet with my Turkish wife for my appointment, the officer dealing with me was very helpful. After he had filled in various forms he informed my wife that I had to go to a police station near our house, which was some distance away to sort out my fine. On going there we were given a paper and informed that we had to first get it signed by the Kaymakam. On going there his secretary informed us he was on holiday. However, she was very helpful and after a phone call arranged for us too go to another district where the Kaymakam would sign the paper. She also informed us that once we had the paper signed, we had to bring a copy back to her. We then drove to the Kaymakam office had the paper signed and took a copy back to the secretary. She then informed us of another office where we would have to pay the fine. We then went and paid the fine, then returned to the police station where we showed them the fine receipt. They informed us to take the fine receipt back to the Emniyet. Here after giving in the paper, a few minutes later I was given my updated residence permit. This whole process took 5 hours with our having to go from one office to another. We had a car and driver who was able to quickly take us from one place to the other. Without him, it would have cost quite a bit of money in taxi fares. Also without my wife speaking Turkish I hate to think of the trouble I could have had, as I myself do not speak Turkish.

On asking we were informed that inside a residence permit it states that one has 15 days to notify a change of address and only 48 hours to notify a change of married status. By paying my fine when I did my fine was reduced from 145TL to 108TL

So remember, if having a residence permit, changing ones address or married status, notify the Emniyet ASAP

Lotz of adventure