Moving from Canada to south India?

Hello everyone,

I've been poking around on the internet for information on a possible move, but maybe an expat can weigh in with their experience?

Im 25, have a degree in art, was thinking about moving to a smaller town in the south of India to hopefully study textiles and scuba diving.

My broad question would be...is this possible? haha :)

By that I mean what are the chances I would find enough work to support myself? Does anyone know if the textile/design industry is hard to break into in India?

Are their any expat's living in a smaller city along the coast of India? It would be great to chat with you!

Id greatly apprectiate any advice on this possible move, and like likely obstacles I would face.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

To study abt textiles in South india....there are two places One is Coimbatore and the other is Tiruppur...they are abt 40kms away from each other. Can u be specific in that so i can give u some suggestions...

Are Coimbatore and Tiruppur the main textile centers, or the only textile towns? I was hoping to live closer to the ocean, if possible. I would take a career in scuba diving/tourism, where english as a first language may help talking to tourists.

If anyone has experience in the textile industry, it would be nice to know if I have a chance of getting a job to support myself with little textile experience (only design) and only english as a language. 

Are jobs in general difficult for foreigners to get? Decent apartments?

I was looking to stay away from the urban centers if possible, but will I find less people who understand english in smaller towns?

If  I left out anything that can generate some advice for me, dont hesitate to ask!

Coimbatore and Tiruppur are main centres. And the nearest seashore will be cochin 200kms. Getting a job is not a big deal. Yuo can can also find a decent and good apartment. You have mentioned that u have little experience in design. Be specific in the field (ie) in which field u wanna work or to get experienced.

Can you comment on getting a work visa? (Easy/difficult?)

I would like to move somewhere in Kerala, which is suppose to be quite beautiful and close to the ocean. I have design experience, just little experience in the actually manufacturing of textiles.

I also would like to work with anything scuba-related. I think it would be easier to get my scuba hours in India, rather then chipping through the ice to take a dip here in Canada :)

Thank you for your help bravob, its most appreciated!

Getting an Employment Visa in India. Proof of contract/employment/engagement of foreign nationals by the Company, etc. and proof of registration of the company under relevant provisions of the Government of India are required to be submitted with the application. The High Commission/Consulate General of India reserves the right of rejection of such visas depending on individual cases. No grounds of rejection shall be assigned. Fee: $ 100/- up to one year.

If u move to kerala. u can be very less in accessing the textile field. i guess u can do it in Coimbatore or Tiruppur. For scuba u can ride to cochin...only 3 hrs ride...Its jus ma suggestion.

Matt,

Talking English in Tamil Nadu - gonne be a hell ride (except yeah maybe in cities)! You might learn Tamil who knows :) And yeh, my land Kerala is so beautiful! but sadly I aint there now! :(

johhny_bbrravo, Is english alittle easier to come by in Kerala?

From what I've red online,  it seems tourists and hippies have been flooding into Kerala for awhile now.. Are you locals tired of seeing confused, pasty, sunburnt immigrants wandering about yet? :)

It seems most all the information I read online is directed towards travellers and tourists...there's not alot of information on moving somewhere to settle for a few months.