What's a suitable salary for french engineer ?

Hello/Salam to All,

I live and work as lean manager in France.
I had an interivew with the HR manager and the Manufacturing manager for a subsidiary of french company based in Ryad.
The interview went well and the HR told that he will send an invitation letter to come to riyad.
We didn't discuss the salary.
What could I expect as salary for me?
I have 30 years and 3.5 years experience.
Thank you in advance

No one to answer??
Forget about french, we can talk about western people in general.
Please advice

Hi Pirlo,

I can't help as I'm in education and we're always underpaid :P

People here will have answers for you but the forum isn't usually as active on weekends (yes, Thursday and Friday are the 'weekend' in Saudi) so have patience for a few days :)

Hey Pirlo,

I'm a construction project manager with an architect background in the US, 15 years experience in architecture with 5 years in construction management. I was offered as position in Riyadh as a CPM. The salary offered was based on my experience here in the states.

My recommendation is to see and compare salary for an engineeer both in the US and in Europe and finds the median salary you are comfortable with as far as living condition and your lifestyle

I accepted the offered where I can make the money and also be comfortable in my lifestyle.

hope this gives you a start

Thanks friend for the advice,
but the salary is a very different from country to country,
the cost of living in lille is not at all the same as London,
so it's hard to compare.
I have to change the question;
is it, for example, 10000SAR as basic salary enough?
To have a decent life?

Pirlo,

I already replied to you on other forums approximately about the same subject.

If you are an engineer, believe me this is way not enough as a salary.

You have to know that in Saudi, the salaries are mostly not based on your qualifications but mostly on your nationality.
Meaning an engineer with the same qualifications coming from the States will be paid the best salary, then come the Europeans, South Africans, Indians and other Asian nationalities.

So I'd follow the advise given here above meaning check out the expatriate salary which would be paid to an engineer from the States and the one paid to a European and go midway in between to negotiate with your future employer.

All the best
Arlette

FeeAcer wrote:

Meaning an engineer with the same qualifications coming from the States will be paid the best salary, then come the Europeans, South Africans, Indians and other Asan {sic} nationalities.

Hmmm, I don't think the part about the Americans and Europeans is true!!

Pirlo,

If you are an engineer (meaning you have a degree in engineering) you should expect the following package depending on your future company:

Take your salary in France add 50% and remember it is tax free!!

Also you should expect accommodation allowance, 100K sar per year should be enough if you are single.

You should also expect a car allowance 3500sar a month should get you a middle of the range SUV.

You should also get healthcare, life insurance and a flight home each year.

Add onto this that you will be working in one of the fastest growing developing countries which should offer you opportunities that you might never see in your home country.

And the food is very good and cheap :)

Nelson17 wrote:

Hmmm, I don't think the part about the Americans and Europeans is true!!

I can guarantee you that such was the case when we were there between 2000 and 2008, we had it verified several times!

And personally, I think he should not accept anything less than 20.000 Sr if he is a certified engineeer! (which approximately doubles the average salary in Europe.

Thank you Nelson,
this is a fait advice.
I don't beleive people whom say that we have to double or triple our salaries, it's not realistic.
For your information, i'm gratuated engineer and I have also a master's degree.
I can may be accept a correct salary at the beginning, then after a while, ask for more or go away. There will be a lot off opportunities over there.
Thanks again

Pirlo,

When they say you double or triple your salary they mean you will get more than you currently get but it will be tax free.

I actually get in my hand now double that of what I was paid after tax in the UK.

I said you should add 50% of your current salary, not double it.

@Freeacer, any engineering company worth working for will have pay bands depending on your skill, qualifications and level of expertise. They should also have an ethics policy and discrimination policy that would prevent them from you paying less because of your nationality.

@Freeacer, any engineering company worth working for will have pay bands depending on your skill, qualifications and level of expertise. They should also have an ethics policy and discrimination policy that would prevent them from you paying less because of your nationality.

Hi, Nelson the 17th!  Pirlo said the company is "a subsidiary of french company based in Ryad" so hopefully it is as your described above.

However, when one is working for a Saudi company/hospital/school, it seems to always be as FeeAcer describes.

:thanks::thanks::P

Hi pirlo59:

I am french, I am an engineer and I work for the subsidiary of a french company too. Maybe we are working for the same company here ;)
I get about 75% on the top of my france-based gross salary. The company provides me with a decent accomodation, a car, a reasonable food allowance, and a health package.

I forgot: my company also provides 4 return tickets per year (one every 3 months)

Hi Heady,
I sent an MP to you.
Did you manage a local contract or an expat's one?

Pirlo59:
I replied to your PM with lots of details. Hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you Heady for your comprehensive answer.

I will let you know the issue of this proposal.

if you are bringing your family, negotiate educational allowance for your children, and in a way that it is paid every year - regardless of the fact that it goes up 15% every year.  When you state your wishes up front - you have a good chance of getting what you want, but after the fact - it just won't happen.

Do Frenchies need to be paid in Francs too?

LOL, Musicman, no more Francs in Europe since 10 years now! except in Switzerland :)

yep, we know that. thats why i asked.