How much ringets can a tourist bring !

Is it true that being a tourist, I can bring max 1000 MYR to Malaysia !  Also please share from where can one get the best exchange rates in Kualalumpur, Saudi riyals to MYR. Thanks

If you are a foreign tourist you can bring to Malaysia US$ 10,000.00 (ten Thousand dollars only cash)

You need to check-out yourself to see different places for exchange rate because the rate change day by day.

taslik wrote:

If you are a foreign tourist you can bring to Malaysia US$ 10,000.00 (ten Thousand dollars only cash)

You need to check-out yourself to see different places for exchange rate because the rate change day by day.

Thanks, yes that i know a max of 10000 US$. How about malaysian Ringets, I I get them exchanged at my place ( riyadh)...  What is the limit ! I have heard that I can bring only 1000 MYR.

Acutally, you shouldn't be able to get RMs in Riyad as the Rm is a closed currency only availabe in Malaysia.  I would check they were authentic as they are certain being sold illegally.

Moneychangers every few steps in KLCC and Bukit Bintang and shopping malls - not difficult to change.

Good,cheap accommodation in KL at from RM 59 per room per night -in the centre of Bukit Bintang.  Short walk from Monorail that connects to LRT to get around.  Walking distance to Pavilion and Twin Towers (via air conditioned walkway - about 15 mins).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review … utuan.html

Gravitas wrote:

Acutally, you shouldn't be able to get RMs in Riyad as the Rm is a closed currency only availabe in Malaysia.  I would check they were authentic as they are certain being sold illegally.

Moneychangers every few steps in KLCC and Bukit Bintang and shopping malls - not difficult to change.

But I have already got some from riyadh, and am pretty sure they are genuine. What do you mean by closed currency !

Closed currency - it's a currency that is not traded outside Malaysia.  The Malaysian Central Bank sets the rate  of exchange. Open currencies include sterling, dollars, swissy, euro, yen, etc.

Gravitas wrote:

Closed currency - it's a currency that is not traded outside Malaysia.  The Malaysian Central Bank sets the rate  of exchange. Open currencies include sterling, dollars, swissy, euro, yen, etc.

But all these currencies are being traded here in riyadh, and you can get whichever and how much you need, but offcourse at a higher exchange rate than what is usually shown on various newspapers or Internet sites. Thanks for info anyway.

What you describe is not in accordance with Malaysian policy.  If they have Ringits on the board it does not mean they have any available or the rate is realistic as they are completely floating rates when quoted outside of Malaysia. i.e. they can charge you anything they want.  Next time I walk past a moneychanger I will enquire and look at the board.

Gravitas what total nonsense! The MYR is NOT a closed currency anymore!!!!! I quote "According to the Bank for International Settlements or BIS, the Malaysian Ringgit ranked 25th among the most actively traded currencies in the forex market in April 2010" Rules were relaxed years ago although technically it is still a managed float (a political nonsense). Legal to buy overseas but the rate is very poor. Bring USD of GBP both have very close margins in KL FX booths. DONT exchange at airport as bad rate. Just withdraw some from ATM or exchange maybe a 100 USD first then rest later.

Nemodot wrote:

Gravitas what total nonsense! The MYR is NOT a closed currency anymore!!!!! I quote "According to the Bank for International Settlements or BIS, the Malaysian Ringgit ranked 25th among the most actively traded currencies in the forex market in April 2010" Rules were relaxed years ago although technically it is still a managed float (a political nonsense). Legal to buy overseas but the rate is very poor. Bring USD of GBP both have very close margins in KL FX booths. DONT exchange at airport as bad rate. Just withdraw some from ATM or exchange maybe a 100 USD first then rest later.

Now I have hardly any time left to buy US $, cuz my flight time is nearing. How about bringing Saudi riyals and getting them exchanged from there. Any idea what exchange rate I can get for Saudi riyal. Here in riyadh it's 1.20 SAR for 1 MYR. Pls share.

Hi check websites of major banks - Maybank the biggest is quoting 85.07 MYR for 100 SAR (big spread as 85.07 to 89.61) ie for 100 SAR you get 85.07 MYR but need 89.61 MYR to buy !00 SAR

So 1.176 SAR for 1 MYR at main branches. Airport rates will be worse so could be near 1.2

You do not bring Malaysian Ringgit to Malaysia,

It is not necessary and it is not legal to bring Ringgit to Malaysia.

You don't bring Ringgit to Malaysia.

Go see the website;

Bank Negara Usd Exchange Currency

Many different advices you are receiving and you might make mistakes. God helps you.