Close

What you can and cant do..and advice.

Bank accounts

Foreigners may open accounts here if they hold a KITAS or KITAP immigration document.
An account is easy enough to open, but the banks will ask for originals of various documents including KITAS/KITAP and your local ID card SKTT/KTP.
Check with the bank as the requested documents have a habit of changing from branch to branch.
Your ATM card is usually instant, but does have restrictions. It can be used with an ATM and for instore purcheses, but you can't use it for telephone or internet transactions.
BNI have a debit card with the 16 digit number available that takes around a week to make, but BCA keep telling me they have no such card and I must get a credit card for those types of transactions.

I've had very little trouble because I'm a foreigner, but one lady at one branch asks me for my passport for every transaction. She doesn't need it, but she still asks every time.
You'd thionk she'd remember after a couple of times, but she never does.

The most popular bank here seems to be BCA, a very good bank with a lot of branches and a lot of ATMs, but those tend to have long queues at busy times. I generally advise using them at quiet times, and a bit of forward thinking allows that.
They also have very good online banking that works very well from the internet or mobile phone app.
I've used both systems without the slightest problem.

BNI is another very good bank, but they have fewer branches and fewer ATMs, but generally shorter queues.
Mandiri is another big player, but I've only used them to pay my daughter's school fees so I can't comment on them as a bank, but their staff are clearly very professional.

More later

Clothes and shoe shopping in Indonesia

The larger cities all have western style shops so clothes and shoes are easy  to find for all but the largest of expats; the small towns present a problem, but one that is easy solved with a little knowledge.
Tailors and dressmakers are all over the place, varying wildly in quality and this is one of those occasions where size doesn't matter.
I've used many small tailors for made to measure shirts and been very pleased with the excellent results, but been equally disappointed with at least one larger posh looking place.
These guys will make anything in any size, meaning even a town with nothing as far as larger western sizes goes has everything you want.
The best way to find the good ones is simply ask a few people and they'll point you the right way.
Average waiting time for shirts has been just a few days, so pretty quick. With smaller shops, you can buy the material from the tailor/dressmaker or buy outside and ask them to make it up, but larger places will only work with material they sell.
Suits, dresses, skirts, trousers, anything you want in available in any size, and you'll be amazed at the very cheap prices in the smaller places. The very posh ones tend to charge very posh prices, but the quality at the best ones is pretty much Savile Row.

Shoes for most westerners are available in the cites, sandals are everywhere, but those of us with very large or wide feet can have a problem. My feet are unusually wide and I have serious issues finding shoes (I did in the UK as well), but some of the open back shoes will fit. Nine years in and I still haven't found a pair of laced shoes that fit me.
Large and wide fitting trainers are easier to find if you live in a city or larger towns.

I wish to keep this thread as clean as possible so, if you notice an error, want to add something, or feel something could use more detail, I would prefer you to send it by PM rather than post on the thread.

I will add posts and edit posts as thoughts come into my head or I see them in threads.

I hope this thread helps you and saves you much of the messing around so many new expats have to endure.

Welcome to beautiful Indonesia.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5711/23976828296_0d1015f9bb_z.jpg

About the banks.... u r right, expecially governative banks. But I just opened a bank account with account copy of my passport and my Indonesian sponsor, stop. They never ask me nothing.
At last they do something that officially cannot do.

Expatriate health insurance in Indonesia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Indonesia

Moving to Indonesia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Indonesia

Travel insurance in Indonesia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Indonesia

Flights to Indonesia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Indonesia