Living in South Sudan today

Folks, I am considering a move to SS early next year. Can anyone provide some advise about expat life in SS these days in terms of violence, health, safety and cost of living. What about access to running water and electricity.

Thanks

Astrid

Hi Astrid,

Welcome back on the Forum :)

You should maybe go through the discussions on the South Sudan forum and see the previous post regarding life experience or cost of life please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

verasdi

Are you going over to work ? When I was there electricity supply was not the best and we had a back up generator for the blackouts.

Food was a reasonable price at the local markets, but imported items were expensive from supermarkets as it is all imported through Uganda. Since I have been out of there for 4 years I hear food prices in general are high now.

As far as safety goes it is like anywhere, you have to be aware of where you are at all times, avoid going out by yourself, especially at night. Travel with a friend. Don't flash a lot of money around or wear heaps of expensive looking jewelry.

Health wise we would go to Nairobi if we were really sick. There is a good clinic run by expats in Juba. Boil all water, drink bottled water only.   

Not to scare you, but I have never been so sick in my 40+ years of living and working in 3rd world countries as I was in South Sudan. Malaria, typhoid, diarrhea, amoebic dysentery. I worked there for 3 years.

If we traveled out of Juba we had armed guards with us as a requirement from our client.

For cost of living numbeo.com

[moderated: no free ad on the forum pls.]

Hi .

I am currently in Dubai, i have been offered a very senior position in South Sudan, i wonder if any one can tell me where the best area to look for accommodation is, also is there anywhere that expats hang out. I really cannot find any or much information, the main questions are, is it safe for my wife and 18 year old son to join me, will they enjoy it or even get used to it.

Any comments will be very helpful

Thank you

Hello,
Welcome to South Sudan.  close to the airport and presidential palace areas are the best fit security wise. If your family expect to get malls like the ones in Dubai, you better live them there. I'm in South Sudan for a 3 years contract and have settled my family in Kampala/Uganda. You can fly to Kampala over a weekend and flight duration is 1.20 minutes. Life is quite very expensive in Juba since the oil crisis started. I'm renting a single room apartment for 3.500 USD! Power supply is an issue since almost all of us are using generators.We are heading toward the HOT season and sometimes in December, temperature can get closer to 48 degree!

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Louison

Hello,

All has been said but you need to be extra care fully , as the country is not stable security wise .Am a ugandan working in south sudan for the last four years , just came home for treatment and i left when things are kind of changing slowly.but cost of living is still high as most of the goods are being imported from neighborhood countries.

Hi

Good questions as it looks like we will also be in S/Sudan from early next year.  I've managed to gain quite a bit of information about Juba and the country but would like to know if there are running water etc. in the homes in Juba. 

I would also like to communicate via Skype with anyone that lives there that can tell me what to expect and the living conditions in Juba as well as fuel prices.

My Skype name is elizejanssen or email address [email protected]