Looking for idea teacher

hello everyone, my name is hieu, i'm living in Haiphong city - 1 of 3 biggest city in vietnam.
i was an English teacher and manager at a online teaching service. But now i want to open a center which is quite different with other centers in vietnam, i want to focus on pronunciation and speaking.
I'm looking for a native teacher who is funny, creative, caring and passionate about teaching, who always looking for new things to teach and not just coming to Vietnam to travel like some others.
if you're interested, pls don't hesitate to contact me on skype at lkhung2.
looking forward to hear from you ^^
" good teacher comes from heart "

lkhung wrote:

hello everyone, my name is hieu, i'm living in Haiphong city - 1 of 3 biggest city in vietnam.
i was an English teacher and manager at a online teaching service. But now i want to open a center which is quite different with other centers in vietnam, i want to focus on pronunciation and speaking.
I'm looking for a native teacher who is funny, creative, caring and passionate about teaching, who always looking for new things to teach and not just coming to Vietnam to travel like some others.
if you're interested, pls don't hesitate to contact me on skype at lkhung2.
looking forward to hear from you ^^
" good teacher comes from heart "

By "native speaker", are you looking for Caucasian Americans/Canadians/UK? 

This isn't a racist question but a marketing question since it is widely perceived that anyone non-white can't speak native English and therefore, parents don't enroll their students at language centers. 

I do like your focus on pronunciation/speaking and you'll need teachers who've had experience speaking the language everyday..i.e. lived overseas to get the job done.

oh i do need teacher who is American/Canadian/UK/Australian
no offense to anyone, but i would like to work with a passionate teacher, because as an English teacher myself, i understand that only real passionate teacher always seeking for material, new effective way to teach. i do not like to base on text book, i like creating the new and fun way for students, hope i can meet and work with someone who has the same passion.
cheers

lkhung wrote:

oh i do need teacher who is American/Canadian/UK/Australian
no offense to anyone, but i would like to work with a passionate teacher, because as an English teacher myself, i understand that only real passionate teacher always seeking for material, new effective way to teach. i do not like to base on text book, i like creating the new and fun way for students, hope i can meet and work with someone who has the same passion.
cheers

Specific to only the United States, according to the 2010 US Census, the racial make-up of "Americans" is as follows...

White or European American - 72.4 %
Black or African American - 12.6 %
Asian American - 4.8 %
American Indian/Alaska Native - 0.9 %
Native Hawiian/other Pac Isl - 0.2 %
Some other race - 6.2 %
Two or more races - 2.9 %

So when you are saying "i do need teacher who is American/Canadian/UK/Australian" are you talking about the 72.4%?  Caucasian is the proper term for "white people".

^^oh you are so specific, well, i think the most important things  i'm looking at in a teacher is the passion, and the accent.
i know white face teachers are more preferable with some parents but still, many people come to vietnam just to get paid for traveling and they just teach according to text book of english center, no offense but i don't want to work like that.
so if anyone has the same passion with me, don't hesitate to contact.
thank you

lkhung wrote:

^^oh you are so specific, well, i think the most important things  i'm looking at in a teacher is the passion, and the accent.
i know white face teachers are more preferable with some parents but still, many people come to vietnam just to get paid for traveling and they just teach according to text book of english center, no offense but i don't want to work like that.
so if anyone has the same passion with me, don't hesitate to contact.
thank you

Well, that is where communication often goes awry.  The western way of doing business is very specific. 

Now that I know who you're looking for, I'll keep a lookout out for any native speakers from the US, UK and Australia who may or may not have a white face, to contact you if they're interested in working in Hai Phong. 

Consequently, you'll be competing with Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh City for native speakers.  Just to let you know the going rate for native speakers is around $15-20 USD per hour.  But these bigger cities like to hire "white faces" so you already have an advantage.

thank you, and i don't work with part time teacher, and the salary is paid monthly like GLN center in Hanoi.
still i don't think much about competing with anyone, i am a teacher and i think teachers should be treated respectfully, that's the most important thing, and that's also why i can't work with teacher just come to vietnam to travel around.
thanks for your help!

I also push this issue because people like to sugar-coat things and not talk about the problems.  There was a big bru-haha in HCMC over hiring "native english speaking" Filipinos recently.  People kind of dance around the issue of whether or not "white-face" native speakers are better than Filipinos but it was probably the cost factor of hiring a "white-face" native speakers when competing against the private language centers.

I still see alot of private language centers having the money to hire white-face native speakers while the public schools just get Vietnamese English teachers.  I'll agree with you that even at the language centers, "native speakers" just follow a canned curriculum; there isn't any chance for individual attention.  I still hear students end up trying to tell me they learn English since they were "tree years old at schoon".

No, no, you say school like "sss kkk u l" - pronounce the end like a separate word that starts with the letter L, like "luh". Now then, throw your "thr" like you're spitting.  "Th r i" - no, not "tr i", "th r".  Okay, let me hear you say it...say it again.  Okay you next...

Someone who understands the first language of their student is a good person to have since when we try to study a second language, our brains, when confronted with a strange new thing, often revert back to what we know first and are family - when we learned our first language.  In this case, recognizing that all Vietnamese students learn that the "i" and the "y" in Vietnamese is pronounced like the "ee" in bee.  But to Americans, the "i" and "y" is pronounced like "ai" in Mai.

Here's a test for "bilingual" students.

MY SON

Did your brain just think of "Mai" in "my son" or "Me" as in "Mỹ Sơn"?

Me have white face and me have many ideas, but me need um big money if me move Hi  Fung.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

I also push this issue because people like to sugar-coat things and not talk about the problems.  There was a big bru-haha in HCMC over hiring "native english speaking" Filipinos recently.  People kind of dance around the issue of whether or not "white-face" native speakers are better than Filipinos but it was probably the cost factor of hiring a "white-face" native speakers when competing against the private language centers.

I still see alot of private language centers having the money to hire white-face native speakers while the public schools just get Vietnamese English teachers.  I'll agree with you that even at the language centers, "native speakers" just follow a canned curriculum; there isn't any chance for individual attention.  I still hear students end up trying to tell me they learn English since they were "tree years old at schoon".

No, no, you say school like "sss kkk u l" - pronounce the end like a separate word that starts with the letter L, like "luh". Now then, throw your "thr" like you're spitting.  "Th r i" - no, not "tr i", "th r".  Okay, let me hear you say it...say it again.  Okay you next...

Someone who understands the first language of their student is a good person to have since when we try to study a second language, our brains, when confronted with a strange new thing, often revert back to what we know first and are family - when we learned our first language.  In this case, recognizing that all Vietnamese students learn that the "i" and the "y" in Vietnamese is pronounced like the "ee" in bee.  But to Americans, the "i" and "y" is pronounced like "ai" in Mai.

Here's a test for "bilingual" students.

MY SON

Did your brain just think of "Mai" in "my son" or "Me" as in "Mỹ Sơn"?

it's more like 'Mai' ^^ i got your point
i want to focus on the pronunciation and responsive of students, so after that they will know how to speaking and study english.
because right now, many of them just study english by vietnamese, and that way destroy their responsive ability.
i'm planning to open the center, it's small right now, but i want to make the value of our label right from beginning.
that's why i'm so carefully with choosing teacher who is gonna go with me from this start. ^^
have a nice evening

Mr. Khung you aren't the first owner of a school that has been confronted with this topic.  You are the first that I' know of that has stuck around to discuss it.  I worked for a school in Bac Nihn that advertised  the need for "white looking" teachers...on this site.  I got the job by chance, because I wouldn't have responded to an ad worded like that.

THD there are public schools that have native teachers.  Compass Education is one of the schools that provides the teachers these days.  I've taught at several publics, including Le Quy Don High School,

A "y"only sound like an "I" when it acts as a vowel, I think.

These numbers reflex those who choice as being 1 race only. Whites also include many Hispanics.  As you notice, Hispanics aren't included separately on your list.

danhask wrote:

These numbers reflex those who choice as being 1 race only. Whites also include many Hispanics.  As you notice, Hispanics aren't included separately on your list.

No they don't (reflect those who choose one race only), 'two or more races' appears at the bottom. Yes Hispanics can be white, black etc. as Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hisp … _Americans

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

are you talking about the 72.4%?  Caucasian is the proper term for "white people".

Not to be nitpicky (I agree with your purpose in this thread, it shouldn't matter what color someone's skin is) but I don't agree that Caucasian is the 'proper' term for whites but rather an outdated one grounded in mistaken etymology and quite frankly notions of racial superiority. It's usage in everyday speech is largely limited to the United States (though it is not used by the Census Bureau as indicated by the stats you posted) and has been for the most part discarded by the scientific community.

More info:

"The term 'Caucasian race' was coined by the German philosopher Christoph Meiners in his The Outline of History of Mankind (1785).[4] In Meiners's unique racial classification, there were only two racial divisions (Rassen): Caucasians and Mongolians. These terms were used as a collective representation of individuals he personally regarded as either good looking or less attractive, based solely on facial appearance. For example, he considered Germans and Tatars more attractive, and thus Caucasian, while he found Jews, Slavs and Native Americans less attractive, and thus Mongolian.[5]...In his earlier racial typology, Meiners put forth that Caucasians had the 'whitest, most blooming and most delicate skin'.[14] Europeans with darker skin he considered to be 'dirty whites', admixed with Mongolian...

The concept of a Caucasian race or Varietas Caucasia linked to 'white race' was further developed around in the 1790s by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, a German professor of medicine...Blumenbach used Meiners's Caucasian classification for similar reasons of personal (and cultural) aesthetic preference. He found the Caucasian peoples (from the Southern Caucasus region) to be 'the most beautiful race of men.'..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_racehttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/caucasian

sorry guys, my point here is that i focus more on how passionate and skillful teacher is, not what color of teacher's skin,ok
and as i said, i don't compete with anyone, i am also a teacher and a manager, more than anyone, i understand how teacher works and i know  many of them come to vietnam just to get paid traveling ( no offense or anything because that's your purpose ), but i don't want to work like that.
and it will be easier to work with if we have the same passion and the love for teaching, i want to open class free for poor students too, but i will treat teacher nicely because they deserve that.
the last thing is if you come to me just for big money then don't come at all, not that i can't give you or anything but you're not teacher i'm looking for!!!
thank you!