Maltese citizenship by descent

Hi, me & my partner are planning on moving to Malta within the next few months. We have been out there many times & my partner has relatives out there as his mother was born in Malta.

This leads me to the question if my partner can gain Maltese citizenship by descent when we arrive out there? He was born in the UK (in 1983) but his mother was born in Malta, as was her father. If he can gain citizenship this way, do you think it would be easier to do this, or should we simply wait after 3 months to go down the eresidence route? Would there be any benefits to becoming a Maltese citizen straight away?

Thank You :)

Hi, being born in Malta gives you no right to citizenship. Are they Maltese as in born to Maltese parents, no other nationality or were they English/foriegn who happened to have a baby here? There is a big differance. Also, since 1989 (I think) it has to go back 2 generations on the father's side to be classed Maltese? I know of a few people, who were a product of the English being here, eg, posted here, married a Maltese women, then had children, which are not Maltese by right.

I have enquire about this my mum is maltese and was raised in Malta her parents were both maltese but my dad is English and I was born in England, with that info I am entitled to gain maltese citizenship. Although I have not as yet gonna wait til I get to Malta as too much slaver on in England to apply. I have my grandparents and mothers birth certificate ready for when I come.

Denisemac1 wrote:

I have enquire about this my mum is maltese and was raised in Malta her parents were both maltese but my dad is English and I was born in England, with that info I am entitled to gain maltese citizenship. Although I have not as yet gonna wait til I get to Malta as too much slaver on in England to apply. I have my grandparents and mothers birth certificate ready for when I come.

It's really hard to get info here, the laws change and they really don't know what they are doing sometimes. I know, as my kids, although born here have no rights until they are 18 as both parents are English. The information I gave above is what I was told but that was 3 years ago and more than likely changed. Although, I have always been told that nationality goes on the father's side but again, probably changed again!

Yeah it changed if the mother is maltese and was born between certain dates and her parents were maltese. My cousin got his citizenship few years back now and his same as me as his mum is my mums sister, although your right the maltese certainly don't make it easy or clear of how to go about it lol, but that's why I love em lol x x

Here is the up to date info...If you can make sense of it!!
http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … nship.aspx

Thank you for your replies.

There does seem to be a lot of conflicting information online, which is why I thought I would ask on here.

My partners mother was born in Malta to a Maltese father (but British mother who married her father & moved over there) her father had a Maltese blood line going back for countless generations. They eventually moved to the UK when my partners mother was about 12.

It does seem as though the laws seem to change every few years, very confusing! :/

Thanks for the link to the updated info :)

From what I can gather from that, my partner can indeed become a Maltese citizen, as his mother is a Maltese citizen:

Did I automatically become a citizen of
Malta with Malta's Independence?

You acquired Maltese citizenship with
Malta's Independence only if:
· you were born in Malta before 21st
September 1964 and at least one of
your parents was also born in Malta;

And my partner fals into this category:

Who becomes a citizen of Malta by
birth as from 1st August 1989?

As from 1st August 1989, a person
becomes a Maltese citizen if:
· he/she was born in Malta and at the
time of his/her birth, his/her father or
mother was a citizen of Malta or a
person who enjoys freedom of
movement, that is, a person born in
Malta (of a parent likewise born in
Malta if born before 21st September
1964) who ceased to be a citizen of
Malta after emigrating;
OR
he/she was born abroad and at the
time of his/her birth, his/her father or
mother was a citizen of Malta by Birth
in Malta, by Registration or by
Naturalization

But saying that other info on the same link seems conflicting lol

I guess we will have to wait & see when we get out there...

Lol, good luck! I hope it works out for you, especially as from what I can gather, this new e-residency is a nightmare!

Well even if he manages to gain citizenship this way, I still have to go down the eresidence route anyway :rolleyes: