Expat? What does it mean?

I hate to say it but I am always cheeseed off about the use of the word 'expat' on this site in particular.
I find that the term expatriate is misused and misunderstood in many ways

What is the meaning of the word expatriate?

Just asking.  :)

An expatriate is someone who is living or working in a place other than his country of birth. Google the word.

biffy wrote:

I hate to say it but I am always cheeseed off about the use of the word 'expat' on this site in particular.

I know what you mean!!!

Stumpy - I don't have to google the word - but I wish alot of people would, then they wouldn't misuse the word so much.

why do you think somepeople misuse it :-)?

i would like to add to the definition
it is someone who is planning to move to other country as well
even if he is still living in his original country :-)

No it's doesn't.

The term purely means people living outside their native country (country of origin).

biffy wrote:

biffy,
Although it seems that you are looking for the literal definition of the word "expatriate", however, I believe there is a deeper discussion "meaning" behind such a question.
Therefore, could you please explain to us "based on which terms" how you define the misusage/misunderstanding of such a word?
Also stating some examples about the misusage/misunderstanding of the word "expatriate" which you have experienced "on this site" will help to focus the discussion.

In case you guys didn't notice that, there is one person in this forum register a lots of ID, he set up a question and answer it himself with other IDs. So to answer your question, it's not lots people misused the word, just one guy.