Why should not live in Turkey...

Not only in istanbul but in the world is liars

"the ruling AKP party want to make Turkey a more Islamic state but the vast majority of the population are against it - as it should be."

I have been living in Turkey since 1999 and I think I do understand a bit more of what's happening here and what you said here is just not true!

1. The ruling AKP party is NOT at all trying to makes this a more ISLAMIC state - from what do you derive this? and although the vast majority would be against such a move, it is not the vast majority protesting against Erdogan but a mere handful compared to the 70% of 74 million people here that is on his side:) Erdogan is working hard to make this place a more democratic place than any other Leader here has ever tried to do and it is irresponsible remarks such as yours that gives people the wrong ideas about the man.

As u see there are more ways to love İstanbul than hate.

Mad Chemist wrote:

As u see there are more ways to love İstanbul than hate.

:)

Well lets see.
- Erdoğan is advocating head scarfs being worn again in public institutions when it was banned before he came into office.
- He has brought Islamic teaching back into public schools. My friends are horrified that their children are now being taught by women who are completely covered and teaching creationism when Turkey is supposed to be a secular state.
- He has been on a frantic building spree of mosques - because there are just not enough in Turkey :/
- He has been turning secular schools into Islamic schools.
- Turkey has one of the highest rates of reporters, freedom of speech campaigners & free thinkers in it's jails. Most of them because they have been critical of the government.
- Ergoğan is slowly making it harder to buy alcohol and has set very strict rules of where and when it can be sold. There are areas in Istanbul which are completely dry areas.

I was going to post some links but honestly just google and you'll find the stats.

Bravo Marlysa!!

most of turks don't respect others opinions and others beliefs, they call themself liberals but they are truly not, they want to be like other EU countries but that ll never happened.....
On the other hand they r somehow helpful...
P.S : im not talking about the whole nation but still the majority....

Actually I think this blog is not best place to talking about politics. But have you ever seen any prime minister in the World who is everything of country. Erdogan is sometimes prime minister, sometimes mayor of all city, sometimes advocate, sometimes judicator, sometimes president, sometimes head of police, sometimes soldier, sometimes foreign minister. and list is go on. It can be a democracy with this kind of leadership?? Is that what you understand about democratic life?? He decided everything by hisself. It s clear that he dont want to more islamic Turkey, he want complately Sheri'a. The only thing against his plan is Turkey is touristic country and huge amount of income we have from tourism. May be he has Maldives Icleand Models on his mind, locals live with islamic rules and foreign can live freely. I dont know what exactly. So using freedom of speech, democracy, secular life style, respect other opinions and Erdogan in same sentences is impossible.

U dont know how the life was bad in turkey before Erdogan.
He has about 30 million vote. So what?
İf u believe in democracy u should respect him.

as l said before l dont want to discuss erdogan or any politiciens in this blog. l spent 26 years in here. so u can be sure l know how was life before him and after him. democracy should be for everybody not for a group of people. this is t we have been lived for 10 years. TjRjn listed some of them but those are 1 percent of what they did. l respect him and expect from him to respect to my life style and my opinions. anyway this is meaningless discussion. think what u want everybody is free.

Hi all,

+1 Aqu about Expat.com not being a political forum.
I would suggest we avoid this topic or we'll be forced to moderate posts.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Well,

Let's talk about weather :whistle:

himmmm,comparing to other countries turkey negative side is nothing!

only traffic ,language and ikmat .how much i hate it when they make some issue harder only for tourist

metrobus, of course!

:D

Noooooooo

let's talk about traffic  :top:

Don't wanna talk oh my....you take 3-4 hours of 45 km or something. Whatever we build ( subway, double subways, two , many new buses bought) still can't solve the problem in proper way...I'm ashamed as I'm from istanbul

i was in istanbul 2 months ago end i miss my flight about traffic lol so i know tha't the big prob

HOLA,UN SALUDO DESDE ESPAÑA, :D

HOLA,TE MANDO UN SALUDO DESDE ESPAÑA,Y FELICES FIESTAS.ME LLAMO ALFONSO.

Holla Barcelona :)

correct

but u don't need to forget Mustafa Kemal Atatürk without him Erdogan can not make all tha't ;)

Holidays soon yes :D

barcelona777 wrote:

HOLA,TE MANDO UN SALUDO DESDE ESPAÑA,Y FELICES FIESTAS.ME LLAMO ALFONSO.

I could reply in Spanish, but that would be inappropriate as per the forum rules... What are you looking for in this topic anyway, Alfonso?

It looks like monologue ?!!!?

[Moderated: off topic]

Do you have problem?

hola como estasss

Muy bien, ¿qué hacer? :)

Vagabundo25 wrote:

Muy bien, ¿qué hacer? :)

Spanish is really wonderfull language I m serious :) but unfortunately this is blog is English and most of us dont understand what you guys mentioned.

Well after ready all the comments
Here my opinions:
- yes the traffic is bad on peak hours( so a 30 min journey can be come a 2hours ride easily)
- for a woman watch out for the sweet talker and liars
-going out is great (clubs but always ask the price before you get the bill)
- work wise make sure your employer apply for your work visa. most of the time the employer won't give you a contract  but still want you to work.
- politics well things are changing and people are protesting. everywhere is the same.
On the other hand I came to Istanbul and fall in love with the city, the diversity, and how religion mix. Istanbul is not the only beautiful city (Antalya is amazing, Bodrum is party summer time, and so on)
I guess if you are with the right people you definitely enjoy it but that goes with every where in the world.
Take care all
and Have a cheerful happy NEW YEAR 2014

Apart from heavy traffic and Istanbul being rather expensive, no reason

Hello you sound very ozzi or so close i am from Melb and you ? if you dont mind me asking

Traffic and rude disrespectful people

Let me answer this question as a Turk. My answer is,

Language barrier is the biggest problem for expats.

I totally agree with you. 

Very rude people especially for asians.

yes  there are Rude people all over the world  that is based on the environment they raised in

I can say that there are rude people unfortunatelly but not all.