Housing definitions?

Slightly off topic but appropriate and this may have been covered here elsewhere, but what are the best definitions for all of the housing categories used here. i.e., Villa, Maisonette, House of Character, Terraced house, etc.
Any other housing terms? Freehold?
Thanks!

Flat, Penthouse, Apartment, House, Farmhouse, Garage, Workshop,

Also see this:

Outside designated development areas, foreign residents may only buy one property for their own use. Non-EU nationals also need an extra permit for a purchase and have to pay a certain minimum price.

However:

In Malta, most rental apartments are offered fully furnished, and you are expected to pay two months' rent as a security deposit as well as the first month's rental fee in advance. Any apartment with access to a pool or a seafront view is rather expensive. Whereas a small Sliema-based flat without such amenities will cost you approximately € 500 per month, € 400 may be enough in other places, depending on the exact location.

http://www.internations.org/malta-expat … in-malta-3

I would also add that with over 70,000 empty properties on the islands there is plenty of choice and I would not buy but rent only.
Buying can be complicated (though I know 'scubaboy' would disagree :)) there would be difficulty selling the property on and inheritance laws are different.

easy to buy but very bloody difficult to sell if you had to. be prepared for a long wait (years).

two months rent in advance as a security deposit is NOT normal -  in my experience of renting (four flats so far) one month IS the norm. much depends on what the landlord wants and you as a renter are prepared to pay. But remember most landlords will do everything they can to not refund you the deposit on termination......caveat emptor.

Very sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I would like to know the distinctions of each. For example, what exactly is a Maisonette? A terraced house? What makes something a 'house of character' as opposed to just being old? What makes something a villa? A farmhouse?
In short, what are the particular characteristics that define and differentiate one from the other?
Thanks!

Also, thanks for the tip on let vs. buy. Any more input on that topic would be greatly appreciated.

JackC

toonarmy9752 wrote:

two months rent in advance as a security deposit is NOT normal -   But remember most landlords will do everything they can to not refund you the deposit on termination......caveat emptor.

I agree and thought that 2 month's was excessive but wanted to lead Jack C to the article that I was quoting from.
I also agree with your other comments.

JackC wrote:

In short, what are the particular characteristics that define and differentiate one from the other?
Thanks! JackC

The agent's?

Difficult to answer because they are mainly estate agent descriptions but  what about :

Flat === Accommodation all on one level with great acoustics.

Maisonette ==== Accommodation on more than one level with great acoustics.

Terraced house =========== Long narrow dark damp house with mouse mat size garden, with other long narrow dark damp houses adjoining with mouse mat size gardens adjoining.

House of character ====== as above but with an illegal well in the mouse mat size garden.

Farmhouse ====== House where a poor farmer lives.

Villa ===== House with swimming pool were farmer now lives after sell the above to you.

Note! nearly all the above will come with Damp and a roof.

Have a nice day!

Terry

redmik wrote:
JackC wrote:

Thanks! JackC

The agent's?

LOL

but dont trust them on words alone - you must see them yourself first.

maisonette - from the french i think - small house can be lower or upper - much like a flat but with your own front door to the street

terraced house - town house is much the same as you would expect in Uk - a house in a terrace of other adjoining houses

Villa - usually large, multi level stand alone, with gardens, drives, flat roofed with other things such as pools gazebos - mainly but not necessarily and many have other flats apartments below which can and often are rented out. many have super duper large garages underneath that too (big enough for 5-9 cars)

House of character - old - can be large or small - lots of old features- thick walls - mostly dark potentially damp - maybe warmer in winter but could be colder, certainly cooler in summer.

have a look at some of the free property mags that come through letter boxes and they will show quite clearly what they are

Note a farmhouse isnt necessarily a farmhouse as you d expect - but could in some instances be a set of posh flats built on the site of an old farmhouse.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

But remember most landlords will do everything they can to not refund you the deposit on termination......caveat emptor.

Very much as the UK used to be before the setting up of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

redmik wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

But remember most landlords will do everything they can to not refund you the deposit on termination......caveat emptor.

Very much as the UK used to be before the setting up of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

totally agree red - but no sign of such fairness here ....

Hi JackC,

have a look at this older post. Many thanks Eagle for getting me to laugh ....again-)))

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137720

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi JackC,

have a look at this older post. Many thanks Eagle for getting me to laugh ....again-)))

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137720

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks, that is hilarious! I'm sure it is not far from true in most cases.

JackC