Compare Living in Miri and Brunei

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am about to receive a job offer to work in Brunei but am wondering if I should move. I am a Malaysian Chinese and am currently working in Miri. Both jobs in Miri and Brunei are in the same industry but with different companies. The nett (take-home) salary for both jobs are about the same if converted to the same currency. In Malaysia, there is additional contribution to the pensions fund, but for the Brunei job, gratuity will be paid only after completing 3 years' contract. From the financial point of view, I am wondering whether it makes sense for me to move? For non-financial reasons, I am seeking another challenge. Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello epel.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks.

Karen :)

Epel, I would take into consideration that the cost of living is higher in Brunei.

Epel,

I gathered what you have written with regards to your job and salary that even after converting to Malaysian Ringgit, your income will be somewhat similar.  Why move then?  Another justified reason that you should stay put ... is that there is no EPF or Socso in Brunei! I still believe that there is an annual increment or bonus on your present position and taking all these into consideration, another valid reason is that Miri's living standard is so much lower than Brunei.

The only cheap requirement is... PETROL and that is if you drive a Brunei registered car!

I hope I have provided all the answers yo require.

Good luck!!!

Epel You Are Safer In Brunei Than In Miri. I Like Most Expats And Bruneians Feel Very Insecure When We Are In Miri.. We Hear And Read On A Regular Basis Of Bruenians And Anyone Not Looking Local Robbed, Vehicles Tampered And Stolen And Other Nasty Stuff. It Wasnt So Long Ago A Miri Counciler Assuring People Coming From Brunei To Miri That We Will Be Safe And Our Concerns Basely. Sorry This Is Not True, Living In Brunei For Many Years As An Expat Never Once Did I Feel Fear On The Road Or In Town From Thugs, Thats Simply Bruneians Are For The Most Part Genuinely Nice People And Its Catchy. But Your Entergainment Will Have To Take A bAck Seat In Brunei, I Think No Explainations Required Here.

i think much better to stay foot because miri is a wealthy city. besides, you are well-adjusted to the place. i wished to see and live in your place some months from now.

Hallo,

Hope my reply is not too late.  I am a Malaysian from Penang but an Expat in Brunei for the last 2 months. I feel that I have made a mistake coming here. Its so boring and the cost of living is very high. Miri is a better City to live in...N.Raj

I've worked in both countries as an expat, 5 years in Malaysia and 1 year in BSB.

Fun factor:
>>Brunei: -10 (no alcohol, no bars, malls are small and outdated)
>>Miri: +5

Public Transport
>> Brunei : -100 ( you need a car to survive)
>> Miri : +5

Safety:
>> Brunei: +5
>> Miri: 0

Pay
Depends on your package- remember Brunei has no income tax, and cost of fuel is 1/3 of Malaysia. Electricity cheap, housing - a bit expensive depending on your taste and preference. You can but a decent car 1/2 of malaysia's price. I cant compare my package objectively for everything was taken by my company including big portion of my kids schooling in ISB. You need to work your own spreadsheet to compare.