Is Cumbaya As Nice or Nicer Than Cuenca?

I guess the topic expresses my question adequately, but I have heard that it is more expensive living in Cumbaya. Is that true?

I guess the reason I was considering Cumbaya is that it seems (from my monitoring of weather conditions) that it might be nicer weather-wise in Cumbaya. Is this true?

I'm thinking, since I have to fly into Quito, maybe it might be best for me to hang my hat in Cumbaya for a while and then if it doesn't suite me to head up to Cuenca.

I guess the weather is the thing that is making me think Cumbaya might be the better choice; however, I have been unable to find that much written about Cumbaya by expats so it is much more difficult to get a read on things unlike Cuenca.

It certainly is very difficult to get a read on the cost of long-term rentals in Cumbaya. Maybe there just aren't that many given that it is a small place.

Comments?

Mike, what are your rental requirements? Size of family BDR's needed BR's also. Furnished. Budget? Turn key?

Lay it out and you'll receive some greta insights and directions from the blog crew.

Most importantly, what climate is preferred, temp, humidity, rainfall etc.

timo31750 wrote:

Mike, what are your rental requirements? Size of family BDR's needed BR's also. Furnished. Budget? Turn key?

I would like a 2 BR 2 BA apartment/townhouse/duplex/house that is completely furnished (i.e., turnkey) and is bright in at least the living room and the kitchen. Also would prefer a gas fireplace. There would just be myself and my cat with occasional visitors.

I would also like a scenario where I could let my cat outside but where he was restricted from just wandering off. I might wish to put up some kind of caging to prevent him from going outside of the yard. But then again, if I could be assured that there wasn't much harm that could befall him in letting him wander a little then I might not have to worry about any kind of caging. It would be nice to allow him to get outside when he likes. But it is imperative that I provide a safe environment for him.

As to budget, I am hoping to be able cover all of my costs (including social costs) for around $1500/mth (or less).

timo31750 wrote:

Most importantly, what climate is preferred, temp, humidity, rainfall etc.

I would prefer the night time temp to be not lower than 11 degrees C and the daytime temp to be typically not higher than 23 degrees C. Humidity would not be a problem in the mountains. I understand that it varies around. That's really not a problem. The amount of rainfall is fine from what I can see. Where I live the rainfall is far greater than what I have seen listed on various websites. So that won't be an issue either. The temp is the big thing.

But then again, with proper conditions (i.e., a gas fireplace and space heaters) that should be quite adequate even in Cuenca.

I live in Cumbaya and I love it. The temperature is much warmer than Quito. I lived in Quito for one year- and then 1 year in Tumbaco- and now I've been living in Cumbaya for 6 months. I have never been to Cuenca so I don't know the climate difference- but I'm pretty sure Cumbaya is much warmer. I do not have a space heater nor fireplace in Cumbaya and never feel I need them.

amyf wrote:

I live in Cumbaya and I love it. The temperature is much warmer than Quito. I lived in Quito for one year- and then 1 year in Tumbaco- and now I've been living in Cumbaya for 6 months. I have never been to Cuenca so I don't know the climate difference- but I'm pretty sure Cumbaya is much warmer. I do not have a space heater nor fireplace in Cumbaya and never feel I need them.

That sounds just about right.

So, what about the ease of finding a furnished place to rent long-term and that would take a cat?

Can someone give a quickie overview of the demographics of Cumbaya ...

Is it almost exclusively expats and very wealth locals or perhaps simply predominantly peopled by the moneyed folks while still having a noticeable population of the working class local?

Anything to do there besides "shop 'til ya drop" and sip fine cordials with "my little pinky in the air" ... :lol:

Carlos   aka "ElGringoBueno"

No, Cumbaya is not a lot of expats- some, but not a lot that I know of. It's not just rich people- it depends on the different areas of Cumbaya- yes, there are many rich people, but not all.

Thanks, nice to hear that ...

Sounds like nice weather there, so certainly worth a look.

Carlos

MikeGB,

Cumbaya is a suburb of Quito, in which you will find many of the things you will find in an American suburb.  Prices are within your range.  I can not speak on the cat situation because that would depend on the actual housing you have picked. 

I live in Quito but visit Cumbaya frequently and have friends there.

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworld.com