How much does it cost to modify vehicle (from L wheel to R) in Malta?

I have an american car with the wheel on the left. How much does it cost to change it over in Malta? Has anyone done this?

Hi,

This would not be possible due to the safety regulations on vehicles,and would require transport malta our transport authorities approval.

Your better off leaving it as it is or you may also visit their website.

Thanks for your response. Is it required to do? I once saw someone in Malta driving a car with the wheel on the left. Is it legal?

Lots of people have done this but it depends on if the vehicle was manufactured for export in R/H drive model. If it was then parts will be available to do it. Body shells are normally manufactured with both L/H and R/H fittings in mind. Cost will depend on the price of the spares and how long it takes.
Provided it is done professionally then TM would just need to inspect it (if you bothered to tell them).
Not sure why you would want to carry out the change as we have a L/H/D and R/H/D and have no problems driving either.

Terry

Terry

Do you mean it isn't necessary to do?

No its not necessary, you can register a car in Malta L/H/D or R/H/D.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

No its not necessary, you can register a car in Malta L/H/D or R/H/D.

Terry

totally agree

thanks!

Hi littlelily,

the only thing you should consider changing are the headlights as they are set for left or right hand driving.

You would be blinding other drivers at night but I don't think anybody enforces these kind of things in Malta.

But there are stickers to avoid these issues. If you drive from say Germany to the UK and don't adapt your lights you can get stopped by the police but not in Malta as nobody cares here-)))

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky, you are totally wrong. Headlights are checked during VRT tests. If they point to the right, the car fails the test.
Also, drivers using fog lights get fined as they are illegal over here.

Gosh I never thought my headlights pointed "to the left" or "to the right"... so confusing

Hi chseychell,

are you that sure?

Ever heard of asymetrical dipper ?

Every car with the steering on the wrong side needs this adaption. ! So normally you have to exchange your headlights ! It is not correctable by adjustment!

When you drive on the left side of the road (like Malta) your headlights are set to the left side of the road to avoid blinding oncoming traffic !

Nobody in Malta cares about this little adjustment but on mainland Europe you risk a hefty fine and if you cause an accident for this reason you will be punished for your life!

I think I can say on this issue - get your facts right !

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky and all

chseychell wrote:

Ricky, you are totally wrong. Headlights are checked during VRT tests. If they point to the right, the car fails the test.

I didn't think it mattered as half of them don't have working bulbs
fitted and since when are driving illegalities ever enforced here?

Once in a blue moon or less is the answer.

littlelily wrote:

I have an american car with the wheel on the left. How much does it cost to change it over in Malta? Has anyone done this?

Don't waste your money. Sell the car in America, more money to spend here.
You do not need a car here.
Have you visited?

chseychell wrote:

We have a LHD Renault drove it from France, never had the headlights change, never been checked on VRT.
Some vehicles have a switching headlight ability usually under the bonnet but sometimes on the facia. If travelling in Europe with a RHD car you can fit beam benders, these cut down the glare from lights that are set the wrong way.

The use of fog lights is not illegal if used appropriately, ie  reduced visibility (fog or heavy rain), same rule applies in the UK.   

Terry