Exploring the Costa Rican Culture

Other than the gated communities (which we have no desire to be in, overpriced and not our style), what areas would you consider to be in a good location if someone like myself (and the hubby) wanted to spend time exploring CR, the culture, food, etc.  We are thinking about visiting sometime in 2014, and spend a few weeks, I like the beach, he can take it or leave it, but he would love the the rainforest area, but we are definitely do not want to be secluded...

We are not traveling thousands of miles away from home, to a foreign country, for isolation. The people and culture is what draws us to a place, and we when we visit that is our top priority.

Should be rent house/apartment, or stay a hotel, bed and breakfast, etc? We do NOT want to rely on a car if possible

again our plan would be to stay from 2 weeks to a month...

thank you

Explore the culture?
Well, that will become a bit difficult. Generally, people would suggest to consider some of the following places: Arenal, Tamarindo, Playas del Coco, Mal País, Puerto Viejo, Monteverde. The issue with these places is that, although they could be beautiful, you will find a lot of expats. There is nothing wrong with that, just that then you will not have the pure Costa Rican experience. Obviously, these areas are Costa Rican, but they have been so heavily influenced by expats that you cannot call see them as genuinely tico. 

If you would like to explore more genuine locations, I suggest looking into Perez Zeledón, Santa Cruz, Nicoya, Turrialba, Orosi, Rio Frío, Cartago. All of these are small towns with sufficient services that will allow you to be conformable during your stay. A benefit of these places also is that you will be able to find more affordable rent. It will be a good idea to rent a car in order to get around, but you will be able to get around in buses if you do not really want to rent a car.
In order to reach your goal, try to avoid touristy towns.

I hope this information helps.

Hola Louise,

I would have to disagree with the lawyer on this one.  The buses go anywhere and everywhere here and you can take a cheap taxi where they don't go.  Buses are "very" cheap here.  It's fun to just take a bus to "wherever" it's going, stop somewhere for lunch and just explore.  The small towns throughout CR are safe and Ticos are always willing to help.  To explore this way you will of course need at least basic Espanol.  Just be sure to learn which towns to avoid before you start your trip.

From what you describe, I think renting a house would be best.  It's less expensive and gets you "into" the Tico community. It's one of the many things that I like here, the willingness of Tico's to help or to just talk to you.  I always suggest Craigslist for finding a rental when you're looking from the States/Canada.  To explore the country, having a rental anywhere in the Central Valley is advisable. Just make sure that there's a bus stop near where your rental is.

Have a wonderful adventure!
- Dave