Driving my car from uk to Malta what to do

I am moving to Malta next year and my husband us wanting to drive his car over from the uk, dies anyone know what we need to do when we arrive in Malta and costs etc, I know the cost of driving from uk to Malta, but do we need to change to maltese number plates do we need to pay fees for bringing our car into Malta, I have looked on do many websites and message boards and can't seem to get a clear answer.

Also would we pay for healthcare in malta

AFAIK basically these are the key points:

You can drive the car for 6 months in Malta with the British plates while your are not a resident of Malta. Once you become a resident of Malta your car needs to be registered in Malta and must show Maltese plates.

Registering a car in Malta is usually expensive (you can check it here) but if the car that you will be importing to Malta was registered at your name (or your husband's name) for at least 2 years ago before becoming resident of Malta you do not have to pay that registration tax.

If you are coming to live in Malta and intending to stay then you will not be a tourist so need to register your car and pay the tax when you arrive. Lusco has given you the link that tells you how much you will pay in registration tax.
You question about health care will depend on your situation, are you retired? do you intend to work? are you both EU  nationals etc.
Most of the questions you will ask have been answered on this forum but you need to look under motoring, healthcare etc or do  a search.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

If you are coming to live in Malta and intending to stay then you will not be a tourist so need to register your car and pay the tax when you arrive.

A car importer has asked this to Malta Transport quite recently and it seems that they told to the car importer that someone who is not a resident yet can keep the car with the British registration until that person becomes a resident (even though that person will become a resident in the next months) or until the car is in Malta for 6 months.

But even though that is what I have been told by the car importer, your comment makes me wonder if what the car importer said is correct.

"someone who is not a resident yet can keep the car with the British registration until that person becomes a resident (even though that person will become a resident in the next months)"

That is true but my point is that if you intend to stay you are not a tourist, so need to register the car when you arrive.
You can of course pretend that you are a tourist but then you cannot work, apply for your EID or enter the healthcare system as a resident.

Terry

Thank you so much, yes the car would of been registered in our name for 2 years, so does that mean I won't pay anything? When can I become a resident of Malta? After how long? I'm so excited I wanted to move to Malta since I was 7 years old my mum is maltese,

Hi terry, thanks for reply, no we are not retired only in my thirties lol, we intend on working in Malta, so what happens with healthcare, I am half maltese so should know the answers really after how many times I have visited Malta but I don't and things have changed over the years x

You will not have to pay import duty if you can prove you have owned the car for more than two years prior to arriving in Malta. You still need to pay road tax, insurance, VRT(Maltese mot)have the mileage verified and an admin fee.

Terry

Denisemac1 wrote:

Hi terry, thanks for reply, no we are not retired only in my thirties lol, we intend on working in Malta, so what happens with healthcare, I am half maltese so should know the answers really after how many times I have visited Malta but I don't and things have changed over the years x

The main change is that Malta is now a part of the EU.
This makes moving to Malta easier and for you being half Maltese should enable you to get citizenship.
Healthcare will come automatically once you have a job.
Look at the various topics and you will find a lot of helpful info and websites to guide you.

Terry

Thanks it's all so confusing my mind is exploding lol, my husband says there is no rush we are not going for another year but there is so much to prepare, I need to rent my house in England, sort the dog out so he can come with us, know what I need to do in Malta, find property to rent in Malta, find a good school for my daughter in Malta, grrrrr so much but be soooo worth it.

Stay calm, make a list, look on the forum and most of your questions will be answered.
"The longest journey starts with the first step"

Terry

Hi Denisemac1

I have been researching for over a year now, you need to take your time and like tearnet states, write things down. PM me you email address and I'll send you some stuff that may help you.

Ken