Marriage validity

Hey ecua,

Do not take this as 100 percent accurate. Others are probably more knowledgeable, and up to date than I, but was just in Ecuador last month for my sisters wedding. Second wedding actually. They actually got officially married by a justice of peace in the U.S. first. My understanding was that they had to do it that way, because it would not officially he recognized by Ecuadorian authorities if they would have done it in Ecuador first.

Again, others probably know much more than I. Am just passing on what my sister and now brother in law told me.

You're right these laws change like we change our underwear. Mostly daily. It would be advisable to seek out an Ecuadorian lawyer/notary on this topic.
In the Gringo tree magazine their are quite a few recommendations for attorneys who for the most part do great work at reasonable prices assisting folks like you. I've used Carlos Heredia on a number of different issues ranging from Visa's to buying a business. You'll you'll find in the recommendations listings in the Gringo tree. If not let me know and I'll send you his contact info which I have on my other computer.

Ok quick update. Have just talked to sister, and I wasn't exactly right, but was close. Yes, technically they could have gotten married in Ecuador first, and officially been recognized as married, but there would have been so much red tape, or perhaps better to say the new requirements and process is very thorough, and time consuming. Not to mention a great deal of paperwork, that they decided was much easier to get married in the U.S. first, and then go the Ecuadorian route. There was still some paperwork needed in that process (to make things legal on the Ecuadorian side) but by all accounts everything was fairly straightforward, and they are now officially recognized in Ecuador as a married couple.

Thanks for the input everyone.Tim05713, please do forward the lawyer' s contact info.
Thanks!

Hi, trying to attach Carlos's business card but it became to Laborious a chore.
Simply go to Gringo Tree, open recommendations and scan down to attorney/notary and among the several listed you'll find Carlos Heredia. His guy Friday's name is Ben John and he is almost always the one you'll work with..

Good Luck
Gringo tree Ecuador will pop open when you run that search

Bill:

Congrats to you and your bride.

Best wishes,
Bob