Getting to Ecuador from the US on four wheels ...?

As stoopid [SIC] as it seems, it crossed my mind that it MIGHT be a fascinating trip to come to Ecuador on wheels along with my meager expat belongings.  I'll be coming with clothes, some kitchen stuff, a tennis racket, a pool cue and a smile.   

Has anyone done it?  Would you try it again?

Since my van is more than 4 years old (and thus, I'm not able to import it as a pensionado in EC), can I sell it along the way (hopefully in Panama or Columbia so I don't have to "walk" very far or take a very long bus ride) ...?

If I stay on the Pan American Highway whenever advisable, is it reasonably safe ...? 

Carlos  aka  "El Gringo Bueno"  :cool:

PS  I'm not necessarily looking for any detailed itinerary at this point, just want to know if I'm crazy to even think about it .  BTW, I wouldn't even attempt it without a spanish speaking travel mate since even though I can order a couple of beers in spanish, it might be helpful to know how to ask where the bathroom  is ...  :D

PPS  I haven't found much, if any, evidence of folks playing pool in Ecuador other than at resorts, so perhaps I'll have to convert it to a fishing pole ...?

GringoBueno wrote:

Since my van is more than 4 years old (and thus, I'm not able to import it as a pensionado in EC), can I sell it along the way (hopefully in Panama or Columbia so I don't have to "walk" very far or take a very long bus ride) ...?

The big question in my mind would be how to get through or around the Darien Gap? From what I've read it is neither walkable nor driveable, unless you have specialized equipment. You'd almost have to take a boat from some point in Panama to Colombia.

GringoBueno wrote:

If I stay on the Pan American Highway whenever advisable, is it reasonably safe ...?

I've strongly considered a couple places in Mexico (Oaxaca being the main one) and Guatemala (Xela) instead of Ecuador, because I like the possibility of being able to drive back and forth to the US. But the problem is northern Mexico's drug gangs. I don't have any recent info, but as of a year or so ago, it was pretty bad.

Expats in Guatemala have also said that driving at night is not advisable, but daytime seems OK, from what I've heard. Farther south, I've never checked anything.

I have met an expat couple who did this.  They included a spanish speaker.  Their drive took six months and they had to ship their vehicle to Colombia from Panama.  His description was rather horrific at times but they did it without any major incidentThey drove across the Colombia/Ecuador border without difficulty.  They have been in Ecuador now for over two years.
The information about driving during the day only is valid.

Have you seen you're therapist lately?

Thanks to all of you for your excellent assistance.  I had no idea that there was a Darien Gap! 

That is a SERIOUS dealbreaker ...

I guess I'll have to pack my pool cue, etc and take the plane.  Or ...

Should I sell my pool cue(s) due to lack of "billar" venues in Ec?

Carlos  "ElGringoBueno"

PS  tfpob, I don't know about you, but MY therapist is crazy, so I don't listen to "them" :whistle:

bring the stick, plenty of bar tables (not regulation) sprinkled around the coast towns. FYI, the therapist comment was directed at driving down.
Good luck

no problemo re: the therapist comment ...

like I started out saying, I suspected my Pan American hwy idea was "stoopid" to begin with for safety reasons, let alone the famous "Dairen Gap"!

Carlos   aka "ElGringoBueno"

Let us know when you find out please!

They actually crossed Darien Gap but it took them 2 weeks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vUyr0Tw6_8

Great video ... 

Carlos

PS  LOVED the soundtrack! 

PPS  The "cost" ... not so much!  My van isn't valuable enough to make it worthwhile :sosad: