BSC - Job offer, to take or not to take?

I have a job offer at the BRITISH SCHOOL IN CAIRO (BSC)

I have looked on the internet and not found any information about how it is there? Any advice from any who know this School
D3 Ring Road, Maadi, Cairo.

It seems from what I have read, life in Cairo can be good.  But obviously the place of work will make a big impact - so before I agree to the job, I would be so grateful for anyone who has any information about working at this school

I give you the link of the school: http://www.bsc-edu.com/
Just if you consider it is ok for you, get my advice:
    1. Fix well your priorities! Ask the manager there for details concerning:
        * contract is for a period of...(months, years)
        * working day per week ( 5 or 6)
        * how many classes per week you have to teach
        * other responsibilities
        * job description & the position
        * annual holiday
        * salary, insurance, working permit, other facilities( accommodation, transportation, flight ticket,...)
      2. Ask for providing CONTRACT that contains all these in details, and WORKING PERMIT, by your coming here!
     Usually they try to trick, if you come before all these are with you, having their promise it is not enough, when they see you here, they start to postpone arguing that they have to see your skills, if you are accepted by students or not, by parents, and finally you ll find out that your touristic visa expires and have no residence, no opportunity for finding any other job, and... THEY GET YOU! start to complain , no matter how hard you work, just to work for nothing, to cut from your salary....
     3. If you fix all these before, you protect yourself for all these! Some employers are good in this sense, others are not! They try to escape of paying fees and to save their money, no matter that parents pay huge fees to them compare with European countries!
With the contract signed, in your hand you could get into the plane and land on an international career!
Egypt is nice, and people here good, students are serious, and I keep on saying: Africa is a challenge, a good one!
Don t give up! Get this job! Be strong, and we are waiting for you here!
Good luck!

Thanks for your advice, it would be easy to get too excited and forget about all those things you mention.

I have been given the following information so far :

The package on offer is as follows:
1. !5,000 pounds sterling per annum.
2. 1 free return flight to the UK per year.
3. 2,000 Egyptian pounds per month for accommodation.
4. Assistance at no cost in finding a flat etc.
5. Free medical insurance.

as you say, i will make sure i ask about all the other points you have made and all as a contract.
and also make sure the !5,000 is actually 15,000

Thanks again for your time :)

It sounds like it would be interesting and worth while to experience teaching in Cairo

I say again, Not enough to be promised in an email or something like this, it is necessary to have the contract, the real one signed by them! And working permit!
If you look in their website, you could see that director is an Egyptian, and they have their own way of treat foreigners!
Some of directors are owners, too, so as an owner he/ she wants money, no matter how, as a director she/ he has to manage the school!
When they have double position it is like a conflict: she/ he manages the school so that to save money for themselves!

OK I see, I will make sure I am careful on this matter.

I looked at the school website and noticed that about the head.
It has made me confused as the email was sent from a forigner signed off as head of the School? all a bit confusing, but these are matter I can address with further contact, although this will not be till after the school holidays.

By the way! To be so, but this sounds like a scammimg 15,000 Sterling Pounds! I don t think that they could pay this sum to you, and I know the range of the salaries in schools here!
Private universities use to pay for high management positions around 2,500 $ / month that means 19,000 Sterling Pounds per a year!
But a school for a teaching position... but maybe I am wrong!

narak_mac wrote:

OK I see, I will make sure I am careful on this matter.

I looked at the school website and noticed that about the head.
It has made me confused as the email was sent from a forigner signed off as head of the School? all a bit confusing, but these are matter I can address with further contact, although this will not be till after the school holidays.

OOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Let me to warn you!
Did you apply in a website for teaching jobs?
Maybe a scammer get your email from there, and now he want to scam you!
:lol: We are in Africa, so there are a lot of this type!
Now it is to ask you for money, maybe: rolleyes: for providing working permit and so on....
Better, My IDEA!  SEE THAT IN THE SITE OF THE SCHOOL IS THE EMAIL ADDRESS OF DIRECTOR!
Write an email and ask!
Go at the email that you were sent and On the bottom right corner is a link called "Full Header" CLICK ON IT AND SEE THERE :  reply to.... and verify the email address that sent the email if it is the same!
If you need help I ll send to you details!

OK thanks again for all your help and advice :)

I am not so sure myself now, i checked the full header and lots of coding.
I guess I will have to wait till after the holidays as school is closed.
But I didnt even consider a scam like this.  Thank you for the warning - im certain to extremely careful over this

I have opened a TOPIC, go and read there, and clarify yourself!
And please, write an email to director of school, to ask about this, if they sent you the proposal! No matter that it is holiday, the director reads her messages and reply,
and just LET US TO KNOW HOW IT WAS:  REAL OR SCAMMING!
Anyhow, you could apply in the webside of schools, if you want to come here for teaching.