Places to visit in Macedonia

Hi,

For the ones living in Macedonia, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Macedonia, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Macedonia?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

I think Matka is awesome.  Also take them to the cross and maybe have a little picnic?  (i'm such a sap...lol)I also would take them to the center...check out the statue, the mother theresa museum, and definitely to the Holocust Museum...it really is interesting and informative.  My husband took me to Lira Restaurant when we were first dating and for my first visit and it was really great.  I love the food here...so any restaurant that offers authentic Macedonian food is a must.  The old Bazaar is great for cheap finds as well.  If you're up for taking a little trip you can travel to the Stobi winery or Ohrid which is a beautiful city on the lake (about two hours away).  My family hasn't come yet but when they do i'll be ready.  To me, Macedonia is better when its WARM...lol.

Matka is beautiful, agree with P Coops.

Generally getting out into the countryside is great. 
I like the town Strumica which has a feeling which is slightly different to the rest of Macedonia.  Hard to quantify but feels a little bit less conservative and good fun to go out there. It also has some beautiful waterfalls and things in the countryside around it.

Ohrid is a must too, very pretty in the summer (Very dour in Winter though).

Also Struga, next to Ohrid is quite nice though it did not feel quite as safe as Ohrid.  Very pretty where the river and the lake meet and very close to Ohrid so you can go for lunch and get back to Ohrid.

Mavrovo - Beautiful in the Ski season if the weather is playing ball.
Popova Sapka - Beautiful mountain during the Ski season.  Not overdeveloped, in fact probably undeveloped for those with more skills than I but with some slopes and access far better than I.