Places to visit in Malta

Hi,

For the ones living in Malta, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Malta, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Malta?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

The island's history, archaeology and natural geological features are what, for me, Malta and Gozo are all about.
The best thing to do is hire a private tour guide to show you round or after conducting research, plan your own itinerary.
In the past I have hired a professor from the university to visit the main archaeological sites.
Otherwise, your questions are too wide ranging as what to recommend will depend upon the personal taste and interests of the visitor.

There are loads of websites to chose from for this but one of the best we have found is www.gozoandmalta.com In fact someone on this forum suggest it, apologise to them as cannot remember who, but this website is on our favourites bar.

Believe it was I, glad to be of some help :)

I would truly recommend visiting the Hypogeum in Tarxien. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and deserves it with a remarkable tour starting in a small museum , followed by a video show about the temple builders of Malta and then the guided tour through the underground temple with a really good audio set.

Only a few percent of the vistors to Malta get to see the Hypogeum as they only take 10 visitors per hourly tour (80 per day). That is around 29.000 out of the 1.5 Million visitors to Malta per year. You can book and pay online but should do it months in advance for the summer season to get a place. Just showing up does not work .....

http://www.heritagemalta.org/sites/sites.html

Enjoy the Hypogeum ....a unique site.

Ricky