Places to visit in Panama

Hi,

For the ones living in Panama, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Panama, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Panama?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

Tripadvisor Panama is a pretty good guide. Don't miss a visit to the Embarra Indians with Anne Gordon. Whale watching is good this time of year.

Personal tours are always best for speed and ability to personalize-figure $15-20hr. I can recommend someone. Public buses work fairly well here if you want to economize.

Recommend visiting the city on weekends=less traffic. If you must visit on weekdays, avoid rush hours like the plague.

For me a very nice, seclure and every day a new thing to discover is Los Buzos, Cambutal, Tonosi.  It is beyond Pedasi in the Azuero area.

Hope you enjoy visiting!

Wife & I will be in Panama  2/13-2/22.  Will stay in PC couple of days then off to see country.  Looking to see if may be place to retire.  Will want to see good beach & SCUBA in Boca del toro.  Any suggestions about what are things NOT TO MISS?  Will want to look in areas where there are some ex-pats, but more interested in uncomplicated retirement in beautiful area near or within couple of hours of swimmable beach...reasonable cost of living.  Area where we won't get bored..things to do...we are in our 50's...not young chickens...anywhere we should avoid...heard one area has problem with trash dump and "odor"...thanks in advance...

A good place to start looking for placing to visit is Tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- … vince.html

You can drill down by type of activity and they are sorted by ratings / visitors so you can get a pretty good idea of what's worth checking out.

As far as myself, I'm using foursquare to keep track of the places I've been / I want to go, and here is my "wish list" in terms of places to visit in the Panama City area.

https://foursquare.com/adri72/list/exploring-panama

Hope this helps,

- Adriano

panamainfo.com/en/ten-top-things-to-do-and-see-in-panama-city

Two of the best sites for information on Casco Viejo:
www.cascoviejo.orgwww.panamaforreal.com

For beach or island excursions not too far from Panama City:
www.FerryLasPerlas.com 
-Ferry trips to the Pearl Islands.

www.panamaforreal.com
-Isla Taboga by ferry, video & written report.
-Coronado, video & written report.

For very unique day trips near or in Panama City:
www.Anconexpeditions.com

*I discovered Ancon Excursions in an International Living Magazine.  Ancon has the most unusual day trips, like whale & dolphin watching, hiking, horseback riding, or boat trips through coves and lakes.

Look above and beyond any trash.  Many areas of Panama City are very clean.  Focus on Panama's natural beauty and spectacular architecture.  Not all of the odors are bad.  Sometimes the restaurant aromas travel through the neighborhoods.  The smells of steak being grilled or spicy chicken seem to own the air.  In the early morning, when the dumpsters are emptied or removed is when the smells might be unpleasant until the breeze pushes them away.  Soon the bakeries overtake the air with bread baking in the ovens.

There are many activities in and around Panama City.  No on gets bored here!