Places to visit in Armenia

Hi,

For the ones living in Armenia, what would you suggest to discover the country?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Armenia, the tourist sites?

How to visit the country in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Armenia?

Thank you in advance for participating. ;)

Julie

For anyone visiting in Yerevan, an evening stroll from Republic Square to North Street , then the Opera House Square is a must.  There will be many opportunities to sit and enjoy the Republic Square Fountain/Light/ Music display and a multitude of street musicians along North Street.

There is usually a Dalmatian, who holds a flower basket in her mouth and is a favorite for people to have a picture taken sitting by her.  Her name is 'Mimi'.  Not all people who pose will offer her trainer a fee, but they should.  He supports Mimi through donations given to pose with her.  He will gladly take a photo with a visitor's camera. 

On occasion there will be older musicians who play traditional instruments.  I have been fortunate to witness several times when there have been Armenians who break into spontaneous dance groups, performing traditional folk dances.  Just last night we were fortunate enough to see such a demonstration, it lasted for about 20 minutes.  Very exuberant youth, very skilled musicians.  Again, don't neglect to drop a donation in the box or hat set out in front of the musicians.

I'm sure there will be other posts that extol the many virtues of Armenia's very diverse and fascinating sights.  But I have never tired of Yerevan's vibrant evening street life. (at least in the Summer months)

Hey,

I hope my response is not too late for you!
Anyway, when coming to Armenia one should visit:
Matenadaran - institute depository of manuscripts which holds one of the 3 richest collections in the world
Geghard Cave Monastery and Garni Pagan Temple
Lake Sevan is very recommended - it is one of the biggest freshwater lakes in the world at the altitude of about 2000 m above sea
Wings of Tatev - The longest aerial tramway in the world leading to Tatev Monastery of Astonishing beauty
and you should feel Yerevan's contemporary life which is quite nice and comfortable with loooots of smiling faces in the city

hope this helps :)