Places to visit in Sharm el Sheikh

Hi,

For the ones living in Sharm el Sheikh, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Sharm el Sheikh, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Sharm el Sheikh?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

[moderated: no free ads please. You should give useful info on the forum. Thank you]

I went to Alf Leila wa Leila (excuse my spelling) in Hadaba on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. You could spend an entire evening there seeing all it has to offer and when watching the arena show you can opt to go to one of three areas of seating to hear the narration in either Egyptian, Russian or English. I was with Egyptian friends so went to the Egyptian part but enjoyed it so much I will definitely revisit with my guests from England. There are plenty of shops and places to eat and I believe you can get an all inclusive ticket for the restaurant as well if you want to.

There is a restaurant called " EL MASREEN " at OLD MARKET it's lovely one .

pure Egyptian food and good service and prices too.
I used to visit it with my wife, when we was there, give it a try.

Kareemp wrote:

There is a restaurant called " EL MASREEN " at OLD MARKET it's lovely one .

pure Egyptian food and good service and prices too.
I used to visit it with my wife, when we was there, give it a try.

ah that's the one, I have eaten there also and enjoyed it very much but could not remember what it was called.

Yeah its popular one.

there is another restaurant called " ABO FARES " or " FARES "
its for seafood and its so tasty there :)

Its kind of funny , I remember those restaurants cause I really miss them and miss Egyptian food generally :(

Kareemp wrote:

Yeah its popular one.

there is another restaurant called " ABO FARES " or " FARES "
its for seafood and its so tasty there :)

Its kind of funny , I remember those restaurants cause I really miss them and miss Egyptian food generally :(

I love the fish restaurants, mostly go to one in Naama Bay on the beach , think its called the Gazalea, I love that you can select a fresh caught fish and they cook it for you, we actually went 5 nights in a row when I was here a few weeks ago!
I have only been living here for a week but already it feels like home and I can never imagine being anywhere else. I am really trying to embrace the lifestyle but struggling with the language, my vocabulary is very limited and the phrase book I bought is not too great but I will persevere.
Angie

That's great.

I wish you good luck, and I'm sure you can find most of the people in Sharm speak English or Russian specially guys in Bazaar, so its kind of easy to deal with them :)

but I was there almost 5 months ago , how it is now..?!
when I was , there was less tourists.

and you are thinking to go on living there, or just for a while ?

I am a great believer in trying to learn the language of a place you choose to live so I will persevere with the language and my Egyptian friends are very kind to let me practise on them without laughing too much at my mistakes :D .
It is getting a little busier in Sharm now,but still too quiet for the locals who are trying to make a living. It is very sad really.  I think the news reports in the UK unfortunately do little to encourage people to come here, the people that know Sharm will return as they know the trouble is not around here specifically I hope.
I will stay for a minimum of 6 months and then perhaps consider Cairo for a teaching position as that is my qualification but that is not definite as I do love it here so much.

Yeah , I agree with you, that the news play big role , even here in Ukraine the same , Ukrainian now going to Turkey :(

but all the best for Sharm I wish.
about Arabic , its nice you have friends to help.

I'm trying to do the same in Kiev but friends not a lot :)
I read that the Prime Minister visit Sharm today, and they think to make VISA for Egyptian who wants to go to Sharm , to control who come and goes from it :)

Good luck in Cairo , is this your first visit to Cairo..?
and good luck in living in Sharm.

Thank you for your good wishes, yes when I eventually go to Cairo it will be my first time. I have a very good friend who works in Sharm and his family have invited me to stay with them when I visit which is very kind of them. Talking of visa's, that is my next step....I need to try and get a residence visa as soon as possible or I could end up being homeless I guess. I will have to look through the threads on here and try to find out how I do that and where I need to go.
Angie

Well , hope you will like Cairo , it's kind of loud city not like Sharm and very Different than other cities.

a lot of things changed since revolution and bla bla bla,but hope in 6 month it will back as it used to be, calm and beautiful.

about Visas, we have searched for it, and it's kind of easy for foreigners to have the permit to stay longer in Egypt and it has many types , and each time depend on how long you wanna stay and reasons.
but it is not a big deal, even if you beak the Visa in Egypt generally Egyptian police wont make it big deal, if they found out when you are going out of Egypt they gonna make you pay penalty that's all.

but anyway legal is good , I'm just sharing info :)

Have good time Angie.

Kareem

National parks, Ras Mohamed and Nabq are awesome.  Naama Bay is really - THE TOURIST CENTRE.  Nabq has nice bars, restaurants etc.  Old market is Interesting but shopkeepers and touts can be very pushy.  Travelling to Dahab is a nice Day out, St Katherine Monastery is awesome but quite a trip.  Boat trips allow you to relax, swim, snorkel or dive and take in the amazing scenery.  Please avoid the Dolphin or Crocodile shows though - it is just so wrong to see these beautiful animals in captivity.  I'd rather see them from the boat.

Hope this helps

I just went to El Tur last week for my visa, I was an overstayer by 4 weeks ( naughty I know!) I had to go back to the airport first to get a stamp which cost me 153 le and then at El Tur I had to pay a fine also , the visa was 83 le I think and my fine took it to 305 le, but I now have a 1 year visa, looking at the number of people with the pink slips I would say its very common for people to overstay. I had actually paid for an extended visa when I first arrived here to live but unfortunately the airport staff managed to forget to put the date on it so they assumed I had been here for longer than I had. It was not an issue at all however but of course a far cheaper option would have been to go to El Tur sooner. At the moment it is a 2 hour turn around so we went by taxi and the driver waited for us, we agreed on 220 Le for the round trip but gave him a little extra as he waited

And how is Syrian people at Sharm..?!
cause they in Cairo a lot..?!