Places to visit in the Minnesota

Hi,

For the ones living in the Minnesota, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in the Minnesota, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days or for a week of holidays in the Minnesota?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

Hi Julie,
I'm new to this sight, but thought I'd offer some advise.
It really depends on where you will be in Minnesota. For the Minneapolis area, I gave some options to Sam Geets on his query as to where visit while in Minneapolis.
But, most Minnesotans will tell you that you absolutely must visit the North Shore, Lake Superior, Duluth. It is about 160 miles from Minneapolis. Lake Superior is ocean like in size. < almost > It is the largest fresh water lake in the world, and has much to offer the tourist. There are many cabin rentals right on the lake. And..... Bob Dylan grew up there!
Best Regards,
Neil
62 and a half year resident of Minneapolis, now residing in Cuenca Ecuador.

@ ZenSPIKE -> Hello :) Thank you for your contribution ;)

Hello Karen,
I'm happy to be able to contribute!
Stay Well,
Neil

I can't believe I never saw this before.

My first piece of advice would be to call it "Minnesota" instead of "The Minnesota".  I've seen "the Minnesota" at this site several times and I'm not sure why.  No one ever says "the Florida".  Names in English don't generally get articles and Minnesota is no exception.

My second piece of advice is to like outdoor activities and water sports if you want to go to Minnesota.  It's called the Land of 10,000 Lakes for a very good reason – and there are far more than 10,000 lakes.  Plus, you've got thousands of rivers – including the Mighty Miss.  Water & Minnesota go together like purple & white.  There's more water in Minnesota than any state outside of Alaska.  It's even in the name.

Minnesota is an outdoor paradise with Voyageurs National Park, 2 national forests – Chippewa and Superior, and about 60 state forests – including Land O'Lakes and Northwest Angle.

There are more state parks than I can count – including Itasca, St. Croix, Fort Snelling, Bear Head Lake, Banning, Grand Portage (with the big waterfall), Minneopa (with the big waterfall), Tettegouche (with the big waterfall), Blue Mounds (with the bison), Interstate (with the most glacial potholes in the world).

There are wildlife refuges – Glacial Ridge, Agassiz, Rydell, Minnesota Valley – with the largest number of bald eagles and wolves outside of Alaska, the largest number of owls in the United States and a whole lot of migrating birds.

If you're in the mood for art, there's the Walker, Sculpture Garden, Weisman, MIA, the Guthrie, Cowles Center, James Sewell Ballet and a bunch of art/theater/dance fairs at different times of the year.

If you like music there's the Orpheum, Northrop Auditorium, Orchestra Hall, First Avenue and a bunch of music festivals at different times of the year.

If you like sports, there's more than I can possibly mention here.

Minnesota has all kinds of history.  Humans have been living in Minnesota since the last Ice Age.  We've got Hiawatha, the Dakota War, James-Younger Gang, Dred Scott, Little House on the Prairie, General Mills, the first WWII navy computers and the oldest rocks in the world.  There are museums and libraries all over the place where you can study all of these things.

People outside of Minnesota have no idea how much culture there is inside.  In movies, you just see Minnesotans chasing moose and talking funny.  Real Minnesotans are among the most educated, artistic and athletic people in the country.

@Hailey - thank you for the sharing of information :thanks:

It's nothing.  I lived there most of my life.

There are three specific areas of Minnesota I would suggest.

1) Arrowhead County - camping and many outdoor activities - then again it is Minnesota! Everything can be outdoors.

2) Minneapolis/St. Paul - hustle and bustle of a large city without all the traffic. Don't get me wrong but the traffic isn't as bad as Chicago. Minneapolis is very ethnically diverse city and you can experience many cultures here. My suggestion - visit in the summer :)

3) Southern Minnesota (Rochester, Albert Lea, etc.) - Every hear of SPAM? and no, not the e-mail SPAM. Rolling plains, friendly people, cheap food and good times to be had by all.

Again, it should be noted - if you are not used to cold weather and do not like cold temperatures travel after April and before mid-October.

Enjoy!

Matt-