Places to visit in Tokyo

Hi,

For the ones living in Tokyo, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Tokyo, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Tokyo?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

Dear Julie,

apart from the typical Japan Tourism website recommendations (jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/tokyo/), I bring visitors to Monzennakacho for the temples and shrines visits. Sometimes as well to the older parts of the Tokaido road. If there is time as well to escape the masses Yokohama can be a good idea too.

I hope you can enjoy your stay in Tokyo,

Sibylle

Hello Sibylle.

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards

Karen :)

P.S: Please note that Julie is a member of the Expat.com Team. Thanks.

I like the Namco Gyoza "museum". .namco.co.jp/tp/namja/
tokyotikiroom.blogspot.jp/2012/10/namco-namja-town-ikebukero-tokyo.html

It's quite fun to eat gyoza... lots of it!

Hi Julie,
In Tokyo, I recommend Buses excursions ... thay have many schedules ... it's cheaper and interesting way to visit best places in Tokyo.

i highly recommend kappabashi street.

you know those plastic food displays that every restaurant has out front?  well, most of those are made in craft stores on kappabashi street.  some foreigners also refer to it as "kitchen town," myself included.

basically, if you find the right store, you can find extremely realistic, detailed fake food of anything under the sun.  whole bowls of ramen, roast pork, gyoza, sausages, salads, you name it.  pretty amazing place to look around and take photos, but also one of the best place to pick up gifts to send back home to friends and relatives.  for novelty, i don't think it can be beat.

totally worth checking out for a few hours at least.