Close

Monthly support to Vietnamese GF a mistake?

GaryFunk :

I went back to Saigon after 40 years and it was so different. Parts of the city had changed where other parts were much the same. But the people were as different as if a century had passed.

Sai Gon in the 1970's was centuries ahead of the Cambodian border Mekong Delta. But, you are absolutely correct about the people. In 1995, things hadn't changed that much. Today, my head spins and I sometimes wonder if I am in Viet Nam or America.

Mostly the changes are for the good. Still, some important things have been lost.

haha. made my day with this comments

Buying a couple of cows for the wife is great. Old fashioned and romantic. The good old days! 
Also a good test of her acumen..if she slaughters them.and eats today or.milks them a d drinks fir many years.
Good move amigo.
Avoid the materialistic modern girl poisened by consumerism who demands the 1000 dollar iphone.
Offer her a buffalo!

ukteacher :

Buying a couple of cows for the wife is great. Old fashioned and romantic. The good old days! 
Also a good test of her acumen..if she slaughters them.and eats today or.milks them a d drinks fir many years.
Good move amigo.
Avoid the materialistic modern girl poisened by consumerism who demands the 1000 dollar iphone.
Offer her a buffalo!

Thank you. But, she set the price and had very specific plans as to how to maximize the returns on her cows before she came to me. What most people fail to realize is that most of the people who actually own and operate businesses in Viet Nam are women. Even in male owned/operated businesses the male is frequently a figurehead and a woman is actually running things.

In one post I said "A poor Vietnamese Woman marries a rich GI and in a few years the GI finds that he is working for his wife in a business that she owns." I'd been around Viet Nam, as an Advisor, long enough to understand the truth of that.

After we went to America, she was smart enough to listen to me explain how things worked in American business, support her and let her get started. So I worked at a job until my not being able to work for her was more expensive than quitting my job and going to work with her.

We made good money until her health failed. But, I'd prepared a good retirement income for us.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam