Meeting the family

Ok, I have done this once before and did not like the end result. But have decided to go with the flow. Somewhere along the way my housekeeper relationship has change to a more intimate one.  She wants me to meet her family. At first I told her no and she appeared very sad, change it to yes but change it from 3 nights to just 1.  What gifts are appropriate for the family?  I have a bunch of new $2 bills, thought making a gift of 1 each and a bottle booze.  Any recommendations?  My housekeeper 24 and my large head tells me I am too old for her but the small head wants what it wants. But I really do not want to loose a good housekeeper.

I think meeting her family will get you a little more than just a housekeeper.

Bonus, at least you don't have the problems of not being able to be together under the same roof.
As for gifts, I'd buy a nice big platter of fruits, plus the booze.

This may be another thread that goes haywire like the others concerning older men and younger VN women!!!

Don't give the $2 bills they are usually just given around Tet. Nice bottle of Johnny Walker or Grey Goose is cool along with fruit basket.

Yup, scrap that $2 thing.  It is only a Tet tradition.  And in Vietnam, you can never go wrong with liquor and fruits or sweets,

get each of them an iphone or ipad hahaha

Wild_1 wrote:

Yup, scrap that $2 thing.  It is only a Tet tradition.  And in Vietnam, you can never go wrong with liquor and fruits or sweets,

Agree with you, only need wine and fruits.

:o good to hear ron

agree with most liquor for the dad and fresh fruits for the mom.

though I gave Hennesey to my fiance's dad and he gifted it to his ancestors on the alter. Turned out he had heart problems or low blood pressure or something and couldn't drink much.

Never worry.  Vietnamese men will never run out of things to do with alcohols.

My older in-laws like that Eagle Brand medicated oil, but they like it more if I get it overseas because they are afraid of cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Good luck!

Watch the Seinfeld episode "The Maid" and absorb it's message.

That is all.

Nam_ wrote:

Watch the Seinfeld episode "The Maid" and absorb it's message.

That is all.

I gave a lot of thought to that Seinfeld episode.  Mine continued to clean even with her extra responsibilities and I continue to pay her.  Best part was going to meet the family was cancel.  Did meet Mom in Saigon for lunch with other family.  I picked up the tab, had a good time.