How much demand is there for TEFL/TESOL Teachers in Cabarete/Sosua/P.P

Just wondering how much demand is there for TEFL/TESOL teachers  in Cabarete/Sosua/PP area.  I'm still wondering how can I be of service to this amazing country, since I'm a native Spanish/English speaker. I have many other skills in my repertoire, but they all will require a residencia, and I don't know if I'm quite ready to make that hefty investment without having lived and work in the country for at least a year.

I do not need super fancy accomodations, but I would at least like to know that I can pay my rent and eat :-) I would probably be able to qualify for a work visa or perhaps simply enter with a tourist visa a work under a school or company contract.  I plan to get a TEFL/TESOL certification later this year, and I just want some honest feedback on work opportunities in this field.  I also have managerial and financial experience, but I have not worked in those fields in the last 15 years.

I currently make a pretty good living as a sports massage therapist and personal trainer.  Just need to get my foot in the door and then figure my way out from there. I love helping people in any capacity that empowers them and helps them to achieve their goals.  Thanks in advance.

My first comment is to recommend you get legal. It costs about US 1200 to do this.  The only other way to be legal is to get a work visa UP FRONT and that is really tough to do.  If you cannot afford to get a residencia with about 1200 US then how can you afford to live here?  We always recommend you have 6 months or so of living expenses in the bank before  trying this out.

As to teaching English - sure there is a market for it but unless you are a qualified teacher who can work in the school system OR qualified to teach English to business executives i can't see you making enough money to fund your living expenses. 

Personally I think you could make a better living developing your  massage clients - but that will take time!

Anyone else see it differently?

Thanks as always planner for your honest advice. Cash is not a problem regarding the residencia, I simply did not want to invest in a residencia only to find out after 6 months I do not wish to stay, that is why I asked about the work visa option which they some times offer to foreign teachers. I don't need fancy digs, just mainly a place to rest my head and will most likely be sharing expenses with a roommate, but I would still need to do my part.  I will continue to explore the residencia and the work visa contract options. Thanks again for the honest advice ;-)

If the teaching position offers the work visa great, they can get expensive if you need to handle the fees.

I have been there many of many times. Do yourself a favor and do take a 3 week vacation and stay at a place in town so you know what you are getting into. It is very beautiful there but not a great place to live. If you don't get robbed in the first 2 weeks these people will do anything for money even the people at the airport and customs are corrupt. If you do decide to move i tell you with your skills and i am no liar Hawaii is your best bet lots of work and living conditions are far better. Please listen i would not of taking the time to wright this unless i knew what i was talking about. So many are slaves to sex that have tried and they will take your passport and hold you there. Yes some resorts are nice but you must stay inside why the barbed wire it is to keep the locals from entering and stealing and taking women hostage. They will succeed and if you live on your own you will be a target. I to have looked into moving there and a man but as a woman you WILL be treated horrible and even worse. Please consider what i say a lot don't even visit anymore due to crime and drugs.

Wow,  now that is a scathing comment. While I can agree with parts much of what you say is over exaggerated. Many live here comfortably and without being robbed and held hostage etc.

Living here takes a combination of skills, being smart, acting aware and living in a safe way.  I have lived here 10 years as a female and not had this happen. No I don't live in Sosua but I have!!!! You can live safely here. 

It is good advice to come visit for a couple of weeks!  Come see if this is for you.