Should I go to Alexandria this week.

Hello,

I was wondering if a local could provide me with any advise on going to Egypt - especially considering the recent violence this week. My flight is scheduled for August 4th. I am staying with my father's family in Alexandria, much of which I haven't seen since I was a small child. He is an Egyptian of Nubian descent.  I've never been to Egypt but I really want to go now. I planned on staying for 5-6 months, but I'm afraid that these plans will have to be curtailed. I would love feedback. Thanks!

Best,

Ahmed

I don't know about Alex. Alex is different than Cairo. Here in Cairo I know how to steer clear of the crap but in Alex there seems to be no way to do that hope an Alexandrian can help you better

Yeah, there is violence in Alexandria but it seems like there is much less than in Cairo.

No there is a lot more in Cairo! It's just Cairo is so big and I'm able to stay clear of the violent areas. But in Alex there's like one highway the corniche. Maybe I'm wrong but Alex just seems to small to be able to move around and away from the violence.

Why are you going to Alex anyways,probably you know someone there so why don't you just ask them.

I am going there to 1 learn Arabic, and I have English teaching experience that I have acquired from teaching mostly non-English speaking immigrant students. My Dad moved his family back home last June right before the "2nd Revolution" and I bought a ticket for August 4th. But last weeks violence seems very extreme - albeit most of what occurred was in Cairo. I just wanted some other opinions from his which was that it is localized in certain areas that you have to avoid. But he also tells me there are days they just don't go outside.

I live here - its fine. Even during the revolution it was fine really. Life is no different unless you go to the marches which don't even really happen now. come on over - the sea is great :)

Im goin at the end of August

Thanks for all of the input. I arrived and am here now. You should come it is peaceful, at least where I live.

Mmmmmm - think that this is a false calm and unfortunately the calm before the storm - so watch that space.
I hope that everything is approached in a different way - but I am not too sure.  But the nxt days will tell.