Regarding naturalization for people with a Brazilian Child

Hello Berri Rouge,

One must normally wait 4 years from the time they obtain permanency before they can apply for Ordinary Naturalization.  That waiting period is reduced to 1 year for anyone who is married to a Brazilian citizen or is the parent of a Brazilian born child.

When applying for naturalization you must report all absences from Brazil during that waiting period. It is likely that any absence greater than 90 days would extend your wait. Even though you are permitted to be outside of Brazil for up to 2 years once you've received permanency, I would not recommend absences longer than 90 day during your waiting period and processing of naturalization.

The naturalization process itself takes around 1 year. So in practical terms you would be looking at 2 years or more from the time you get permanency until you could be granted citizenship.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks James for your quick reply

So you mean we will be eligible to apply citizenship after one year of permanent residency and after 1 additional year to process to obtain Brazilian passport.

Can you please guide me which document I will need to submit to provide police federal for our permanent residency as parents of a Brazilian child?

I do have following documents to submit:

1)--Birth certificate of My Brazilian born daughter (Notarized)
2)- CPF
3)- Original Passports with translations (Notarized)
4)- Photocopies of all passport pages (Notarized)
5)- GRU with payment slips
6)- Application for registration as foreigner
7)- Fix telephone bill under my name as proof of address (Notarized)

Thanks
Berri

Hi! for naturalization procees, what type of document/certificate is necessary to get from court of brazil?? thanks

Hi Berri,

Exactly, in practice it will be around 2 and a half years at least from the time you gain permanency before you would be able to get through the naturalization process and thus qualify for a passport.

You will require those documents for BOTH of you (separate applications), plus a sworn declaration that your child lives in your care and is financially dependent upon you, 2  3X4 color photos (on light background) of both of you.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

sakraan wrote:

Hi! for naturalization procees, what type of document/certificate is necessary to get from court of brazil?? thanks

See the Ministério da Justiça webpage (link below) for all of the documents required for Ordinary Naturalization.

http://portal.mj.gov.br/data/Pages/MJ97 … PTBRIE.htm

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks James you are so kind. may god bless you

Enjoy

Dear James

I made a sworn declaration that my child lives in my care and I will financially support her, but police federal tell me that documents is not necessary and don't required and return it to me.

Berri

Strange, because it is required in the legislation. But if they didn't want it, you're ok.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

lets see.

on the day of submission of documents, police federal will grant us a protocol number, and after how many days they will grant us permanent visa, or RNE and CIE card will be count is permanent residency

If everything is present and in order you get your protocol, they're also supposed to stamp your passport "Registrado com Permanente", so make sure that you ask them to do that. Permanency is granted the same day as you register, if anything is not acceptable to the Federal Police they tell you what it is and you have 10 days to resolve the problem.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks dear

I already show them documents and they give us an appointment for on 19 Jan 2016 for finger prints,. I think the same day they will issue protocol number and said stamp on our passports.

Prazo para conclusão do serviço
Após o recebimento do processo no Departamento de Estrangeiro, o tempo é de, em média, 02 (dois) meses, caso não haja necessidade de apresentação de documentos complementares, quando então será encaminhada carta/exigência ao interessado,  concedendo-lhe o prazo necessário para cumprimento.
One of my friends from Africa applied for naturalization and its decision took almost 2 years. What does  the given above passage mean?

The passage is the Ministry of Justice DEEST's wishful thinking that they can actually get somthing done in less than 2 years and nothing else. They were taking 2 years and often longer dealing with permanency, the DFP deals with it same day in most cases.

Naturalization is much more serious and has more requirements. They won't hurry - trust me!!!

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Good Morning

as I tell you I already have an appointment for on 19 Jan 2016 for finger prints, I just want to know that;  will they issue us a protocol number and stamp on our passports

Berri

Hi Berri,

Yes, if all your documents are in order and they accept your application, permanency is granted the very same day, they'll issue you a protocol and stamp your passport (make sure to ask them to stamp it, sometimes they forget). The only thing you'll need to wait for is the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro to be made up.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks James
May god bless you

Good Morning

Today was my appointment  at Polícia federal and they take my finger prints and issue us a protocol number lip which showing peppermint residence states.  But they did not stamp on our passports, on my request they informed me that its no more in their system now. Only protocol slip is enough.

Moreover they return my financial deceleration "as father” to me and tell me it's not necessary.

Thanks you James your suggestions help me lot, I am very happy today I got my permanent residence paper.

Regards
Berri

Hi Berri,

While the Federal Police may not feel it is necessary to stamp your passport, they have absolutely no idea of the problems that not doing so can cause if you should leave the country before you've received your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro.

That cheesy looking piece of paper doesn't mean a damn thing to foreign airlines. They want to see a valid visa and something in your passport, not a piece of paper that a child could produce on his/her home computer.

There are no problems if you're flying on a Brazilian airline because they know about the protocol. If you're trying to board a foreign owned aircraft somewhere abroad, you just might find yourself denied boarding because they don't accept your protocol or even believe it's real.

If you have no plans of leaving the country in the near future, then do nothing. If you are planning a trip then go back and demand that they stamp your passport. It's their job!!!

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks dear

No in near future I have no plan to visit out of Brazil, may be Paraguay by bus.

can I open my personal bank account with my protocol number which i just received by police federal, which bank is good to open bank account

Thanks again
Berri

I don't know of any banks that will open a bank account with just the protocol, UNLESS it has the raised Federal Police seal and it states clearly "Valido como documento de identidade" at the bottom of the protocol. Even then most of the banks will insist that you wait until you have the plastic Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro.

Opening a bank account is a very bureaucratic process. You need proof of address and they ONLY accept a notarized rental contract, or an electric, gas, water or (fixed) telephone bill as proof.

You will also in most cases need to provide proof of employment and your salary.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hello Mr. James

I want to ask you one question on behalf of my best friend.  He is in Brazil and recently he got Muslim (NIKAH) religion marriage with a Brazilian (citizen) lady.

My equation is that; can he apply permanent residency on behalf of (NIKAH) religion Marriage witch celebrate in Brazil.

Regards
Berri

As I know ``nikah`` (or any other religous marriage) has no legal status for getting permanent visa. The marriage should be organized in Cortorio and nikah is usually organized under the observation of Imam (or other religious leader).

Only civil marriage is recognized in Brazil. That is usually a Cartório marriage cerimony, but it can also be a religious marriage performed by an authorized person who is essentially conducting a civil marriage and religious marriage at the same time. This is almost always a judge.

Unless the individual who performed the Nikah marriage had that authority, and all the proper marriage registration documents were completed your friend would not qualify to apply for permanency based on marriage to a Brazilian citizen.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

good evening,

can you please tell me that; after obtaining the permanent residency in Brazil, which documents I will required for school admission of my 14 years son, and what is the process for admission in municipal school. do i need school leaving certificate from country of origin

I am very confused for my son studies, please guide me

Thanks in advance for your support.

Berri

Yes, you will need a transfer and transcript of grades from your child's previous school.

One request please. If you are going to ask questions here, for the sake of not confusing our other members, if they are not related to the topic (in this case citizenship) please start a new topic thread to ask your question.

Other members who may require the same information, will not be able to find it, since the "Search the Brazil Forum" feature can't locate it in the wrong category.,

Thanks for your cooperation.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

hello dear good evening

I want to ask you following few questions:

After obtaining the CIE card as dependent of brazilian child how long I need to wait to apply brazilian citizenship.

if time is one year, So do i need to remain whole 12 months in brazil to apply citizenship or is there relaxation period of few months.

after apply the citizenship do i need to remain in Brazil or I can leave Brazil and at the time of nationality I come back to Brazil.

do I need to pay any govt tax on my all transactions of personal bank account in Brazil, or only bank charge

Regards
Berri

Hi Berri,

While there is no specific period of time you are permitted to be outside of Brazil during that one year waiting period, you must REPORT and JUSTIFY any such absences from the country in the application for naturalization.

I would suspect that any absence greater than 60 or 90 days may cause the date on which you would qualify to apply to be pushed back. So essentially if you were out of Brazil for 6 months, you might have to wait for 1 year and 6 months in order to apply. I really can't give you a definite answer, this is something you might be able to find out from the Policia Federal.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thanks James

what will be the answer of my remaining equations

What I do for proof of address is  the gas bill in my wife's name and our marriage certificate with her ID

This is generally accepted as proof of address in all official matters I have dealt with....I guess I should get a bill in my name but I just have not been bothered .

When registered the RNE at the federal police on arrival in Campinas they were not too worried about the address at all , I think they accepted my mother in laws bank statement as proof of address , I was staying there at the time.....I guess the link was my wife , her mothers name on her documents and then the bill in the Mother in Laws name...I've never needed to ever have my signature notarized at the Cartorio

To open a bank account they were a bit more strict with the same address , I think my Mother in Law had to sign some declaration and that had to go to the Cartorio , believe it or not the document of hers we presented was an expired drivers License....the bank complained but after leaning on them they broke down and accepted it   :D

Wow several years for Permanency James.....you must have a gargantuan tolerance for this brand  of punishment! :joking:

stevefunk wrote:

Wow several years for Permanency James.....you must have a gargantuan tolerance for this brand  of punishment! :joking:

How do you think that I got to be such an expert on the Brazilian brand of bureaucracy???  :lol:
Years of painful hands-on experience, believe me.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

if someone complete his 180 days stay in Brazil, is this possible he can stay further 20 days in Brazil.

Berri Rouge wrote:

if someone complete his 180 days stay in Brazil, is this possible he can stay further 20 days in Brazil.

Not without being in an overstay situation which will result in a fine and possibly getting an overstay stamp in their passport. The overstay could result in being refused a visa for other countries, or entry to other countries in the future. I wouldn't advise anyone to overstay their visa.

Is the overstay to allow for the birth of a child?

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hi good after

Now on behalf of one of my best friend; I would like to ask you following questions:

(1)- Is everyone is authorized to do register marriage in Brazil (with a Brazilian citizen) during his 180 days tourist visa.

(2) will he authorized to apply permanent residence on behalf of this registered marriage.

(3)- If a lady is already civilly divorced by court, but she is waiting for her divorce certificate from more than a month.

(4)- in that case is she eligible to apply for a marriage registry or will she must need her divorce certificate marriage registry.

Regards
Berri

Hello Berri,

1.  Anyone who is within the valid stay that their visa permits may apply for 'habilitação de casamento' (permission to marry) and to get married in Brazil. The process from beginning to end, if all the documents are present and complete, generally takes around 30 - 45 days. If they have married a Brazilian citizen outside of Brazil, they must first register the marriage at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country where the marriage took place. and then register it at the 1º Oficio de Registro Civil in the city where they will reside or Brasília - DF within 180 days of their arrival.

2.  Once married to a Brazilian citizen the foreign spouse is entitled to apply for permanency.

3.  The divorce certificate must be produced in order for permission to marry is granted, so yes she would need to have that document in hand, she cannot apply for permission to marry until she does.

One small favor...   if you have any further questions, since we really try to remain on topic here, and this topic is about naturalization for people with Brazilian born children, would you please post a new topic to as other unrelated questions. It will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

I am curious about something
If you are living in Brazil as permanent , RNE over a year with Brailian spouse , do you still need a valid Passport from your home country to Naturalize?
How about criminal record check....do you need a new one from your home country or do you just have to get a Brazilian since this is where you've been living for the last few years

Hi Steve,

Yes, as an expat in Brazil you always require a valid passport from your country of origin UNTIL the point you are actually granted citizenship. So you require a valid passport to apply for naturalization.

You require a Criminal Record Check from your country of origin that covers the time you were there. If you still have the one from the time you applied for permanency you can still use that one. YOU ALSO NEED a record check "Atestado de Antecedentes Criminais" from Brazil too, you can get that from the Policia Civil in Brazil for the time you've been here in Brazil.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

This is an update regarding process time. My CIE was issued one week after filing the application for permanency and I collected the card four weeks after that at the Superintendência Regional São Paulo. My passport only has the protocol number and an extension of my visa for 60 days but there is no stamp saying permanence. Shouldn't there be such stamp inside the passport?

Didn't you get a big permanent VIPER visa sticker in your passport.....I had that and then when I entered Brazil and did the RNE CIE the officer stamped it with a black stamp saying i'd checking in- validating the visa I guess , but then I got my visa issued outside Brazil

VIPER is issued by consulates abroad if you need a visa. In my case, I don't need a visa. When I filed the application, they attached a sticker with barcode into my passport which I guess is part of the protocol. But no further stamps when I collected my CIE.

I think you're fine then.....my experience here has been that nothing matters except the CIE card ....you could live quite happily now for ten years in Brazil , travel in South America and never show your passport again.

I guess if the CIE gets lost you might have a problem , but I really don't think you need any stamp , only stamp I got was one validating the check in of the Viper...