Khmer Langauge

Hi Folks,

would like to know how many of you are able to pick up khmer? How long it took you to understand and speak it?

Is it easy to pick up? Just speaking it, not writing or reading.

If you stay only with khmer people you can talk in 2 or 3 months.... but not a lot... just being able to bargain, introduce yourself... etc...  . If some of them can speak English, you will need much more time.

hello, i have the book "cambodian for beginners" in English, i khnow this book is good for start and introduce the language structure, there is a lot of exercices to write and talk.
I am searching again about the best book or methode to learn, the best way is surely you can stay a long time in cambodia and talk and practice evry day, but if you are like me just at Phnom Penh for the holyday this book can help you.
See you

Hello. I am not yet in Cambodia but I would like to study a bit of Khmer before taking the plunge.
Please could you recommend any good audio program for Khmer? Alainlychanda, who is the author of Cambodian for Beginners?
Thank you!

Cambodian for Beginners is by Richard K. Gilbert
you can by it here:
amazon.com/Cambodian-Beginners-CDs-Second-Edition/dp/1887521828/ref=pd_cp_b_1

you must have the book with the CD for the prononciation.

If you go to the seam-reap tourist market (near Angkor Vat) you can by it for just 5$!!!!

But if you want to study it before it's a good think!!!

I have a lot of another references but in french, because i am a french people.

Good luck!!

[url=amazon.com/Learn-CAMBODIAN-Complete-Language-Course/dp/B005W31G7G/ref=pd_sim_b_8]forazon.com/Cambodian-System-Writing-Beginning-Language/dp/0300013140/ref=pd_sim_b_3]

Hi alainlychanda! Thanks so much for these! Too bad, I only got an Angkor Wat book at the market. But I might have to order from Amazon.
The one from Foreign Service Institute looks great too. I've heard many people use it for other languages too.
Again, many thanks!