Teleworking from Kenya

The working world is changing and nowadays there are jobs that can be done from any location in the world, provided you have a reliable internet connection.

I might be interested in doing that; what I am wondering is, would that even be considered "working" in Kenya? If I do telework for a European company and get my pay to a European account I would be of no impact to the Kenyan job market, thus not taking anyoneŽs job.
Would I still need a work permit or would I instead qualify for a resident permit proving I have sufficient income from outside the country?

I guess most countriesŽ regulations do not take this kind of new work options into account and I would like to know how this is handled in Kenya.
Thanks,

Uwe
P.S.: I am posting this in the "Work" section but it might as well be in "Formalities". Please move it if that is more applicable.

Neuhofen,
Many companies are setting up virtual offices in kenya, this trend is quickly gaining grounds in Kenya, its considered working.That means youd need a work permit to do this.
Hope this helps.

Bilha.

Bilha,
thanks for your reply, that is indeed helpful. Now, the question is, how to apply for a work permit for this kind of work? I mean, we are talking about an employer company that has no business relations with Kenya at all, only that one employee (me) happens to be living there...

Hallo, I just read your post on teleworking and kinda got interested ,could you kindly explain to me how it works , imean if I want to to do tele-marketing., I normally see this kinda stuff wen surfing but never got to know how they work and how they get their clients...Kindly ,thanks. Gday

@ngunjy
Actually I was not thinking of telemarketing; my thoughts are about regular office jobs that can be done from home using internet connection and a VPN to the company network.
My employer regularly allows staff to do telework from home on a limited basis, like 1-2 days per week. My idea was simply to extend this and to be located at any given place in the world.

hi,

You may want to make an anonymous call to Kenya Federation of Employers to get your answer or contact the nearest advocate (company) near you. This will not get you into any type of trouble really.

However there are many other options of making a legitimate income in Nairobi that does not entail paying taxes nor interference from the government and yet are legitimate. 

If interested in that please drop an email to me.

All the best,
Kacheri
glamfactorykenya1@gmail