Visa question from someone from the UK *help*

Hi I am trying to find out information and am struggling to find the right information on the net.

I want to work in vn and have a degree, tefl and 4 years teaching in Korea.

My questions are

1. Do I need a crc from Korea or just the UK? (I have a Uk one now, but did not get one in Korea)

2. What exactly do i need to get notorised etc.. I read somewhere i even need to get my telf cert done????

3. Someone said i should get everything translated into Vietnamese before I even go?? what??

4. I never got proof of employment while in korea (smart i know) but i do have references...will this do?

I dont have a job there yet, this is the first time i have went to a country without having a job and seriously dont want to turn up and find out i missed something.

Oh by the way my degree is from Ireland (Is that gonna mess things up too?)

Hello FergStar.

Hope that you'll get some prompts feedbacks soon.

Thanks and best of luck

Karen :)

1. Do I need a crc from Korea or just the UK? (I have a Uk one now, but did not get one in Korea)

2. What exactly do i need to get notorised etc.. I read somewhere i even need to get my telf cert done????

3. Someone said i should get everything translated into Vietnamese before I even go?? what??

4. I never got proof of employment while in korea (smart i know) but i do have references...will this do?

I dont have a job there yet, this is the first time i have went to a country without having a job and seriously dont want to turn up and find out i missed something.

I don't know what crc is??

I arrived in Vietnam with no degree and a TEFL certificate. I went around to only 5 schools, one (1) hired me, one (1) didn't because I had no degree, one (1) wanted me on hours I already was working, and I have another wanting me to teach.

The schools that I have come in contact with, all need the "Western Teacher" because that's what they are promising the parents.

All I did was hand over my CV. Attached were:
1. Teaching Diploma from NZ - this is not a degree.
2. TEFL Certificate
3. Passport showing Visa
4. Brief CV

I have a permanent address and phone number in VN.

Hope this helps .. by the way these events happened in Vung Tau. It may be different in other parts of Vietnam.

crc is criminal record check

I called the embassy today and they never told me anything, just to apply for a 3 month work visa, and i will be able to work there...

But, thanks for the information anyway

Hi I think the first think you should do is to get your visa done and get hired after that, it's pretty easy to find a teaching job in Vietnam for foreigners in English.
You can go to this link vietnamworks.com/expatriate-jobs-in-vietnam-jobs-i18-en
Then the employer will do whatever it needs to extend the visa for you. Notarization and translation can be done in Vietnam.
Cheers,

In order to work legally in Vietnam, you will need a work permit. The basis of work permit is a labour contract with an employer in Vietnam who will also be some kind of a "guarantor" for your stay in Vietnam.
For now, if you work in Vietnam less than 3 months, you are not required to have a work permit - meaning, you may work less than 3 month without having a labour contract with an employer in Vietnam.

So, I believe, you may easy to apply for Vietnamese visa for up to 3 months max -as a visitor, maybe? You may need to check with your travel agent. And, as other comments, you may easy find a job as English teacher in Vietnam.

For your questions, please see below - hope this help and good luck. If you have any further question, PM me may be quicker!

FergStar wrote:

Hi I am trying to find out information and am struggling to find the right information on the net.

I want to work in vn and have a degree, tefl and 4 years teaching in Korea.

My questions are

-> criminal record should only be required if you need to apply for work permit. I am not sure why you mentioned about your criminal record?

In any case, in practice, the criminal record must be issued less than 6 months up to the date you submit your application for work permit (or visa?!????)

-> there are 2 basic ways to get your documentation legalised:

Either: (i) you have to go to your local department of foreign affair (I am not sure who will be the one in charge of this but in US, you have to go to department of foreign affair but in Singapore you may go to public notary) to acknowledge/notarise your documentation is true; (ii) then go to Vietnam consulate/embassy at your place to acknowledge the "acknowledgement / notarisation". Then you may or may not have to translate your documentation depending on application's requirement of each specific case.

Or: you do the (i) step as mentioned above; then (ii) bring your documentation to your consulate/embassy IN Vietnam to certify the acknowledgement; then (iii) bring the certified document at (ii) to Vietnam Foreign Affair Department in Vietnam for legalisation; finally, have legalised document to be translated into Vietnamese.

Note that: normally,the state agencies will require a Vietnamese translation based on legalised documents but not all the time. Some other authories may only require a Vietnamese translation a d certified by a private notary.

So, you may want to check what you want to do and what will be required - legalisation or translation of your documentation?

-> answered above. If you have not been in Vietnam yet, 1st option for the legalisation may be an ideal

-> not sure if it is required by your employer in Vietnam but if you have to geta work permit for more tha  3 months working in Vietnam, a reference is not enough. You may need a confirmation for your employment in Korea for application to get work permit.

-> from legal point of view - NO

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.  You have made things a lot clearer for me!

FergStar wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.  You have made things a lot clearer for me!

Glad to hear that! If you are heading to Ho Chi Minh City, a drink as compensation would be nice :))
Jk.
Good luck with your stay in VN