TEFL course for teaching in english centre

I was just wondering if anyone new if I am better off doing the TEFL course here
in Australia before I come to Vietnam or if it is more well regarded to do the TEFL
course there?

I don't think it matters as long as you have the certificate to prove it. However, if you take the class here, you will most likely do a few practice courses at an actual Vietnamese school which can be really helpful. This way, they don't just throw you in the water. Also, you have this time to get acclimated to the place and culture :)

Yes, I was thinking in Vietnam good because local experience

But maybe easy Australia because understand Australian people better

Anyone expats actually taken the TEFL course in HCMC?

Thanks for your help Darago! :-)

Yeah, I took the course here in HCMC so I'm speaking from experience :P if you want to take it in Australia because they understand better, then you might have a real difficult time teaching here in HCMC when they can't understand you at all! Haha

I think you'll be good either way, but whatever you do, don't take it online! I had some friends who did that and they definitely regretted it.

I know loads of people who have done the course here and some that actually teach it.
In terms of worth it makes no difference where you do it.
The advantage of doing it here is that they may be able to lead you to work more easily. That said as long as you are prepared to do the leg work and knock on doors(physically turn up not an email) then you should be able to find work.
In terms of costs from what I've seen pretty much same across the board.

Really appreciate that advice because I was going to take it online hahaha

I am 50 yo, well educated. I have really good literacy etc but I don't have a uni degree
nor have I any teaching experience but I am a high level trainer in Australia and
used to training groups of people.

Instead of uni I did 4 years college, what we call Tafe to be an electrician. Do you think
I would be able to do the course ok?

Doing the course is ok and even without a degree you can find work. albeit maybe not at the high level schools.

Get your references\CV up to-date and make sure it emphasises all your trainer experiences, it may not be teaching english but it is teaching all the same.
Bring your police check and notarised copies of your certificates etc. It will make things a little easier.

You don't need a degree to take the course. Unfortunately, many places here ask that you have the TOEFL certificate as well as a university degree. Don't get discouraged though! I have a younger, Swedish friend who took the course with me and he's been teaching since he finished the course. The thing is, he teaches very young children...which can be good AND bad. I don't know how businesses will take your training experience or college degree. It might all be the same to them! Hopefully someone with a similar situation will respond to you.

Good luck! :D

There is a teacher website called ajarn.com that has TESOL locations and fees listed.  I am attending Island TESL next month at Koh Samui in Thailand.  I am combining travel with education. Could have taken a class in HCMC but liked the idea of seeing a new place.