Travel insurance?

Hi again! :rolleyes:

Can anyone advise me as to what travel insurance I need to take out when I come over to live next week as I don't have a clue, do I just need it for 1 day for my flight?

Or do I need it for the 3 months visitor amount or do I take a years one out?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi JayJay,

if you are coming as a tourist and as long as you are a tourist (3 months) you are covered by the EHIC (card). That will cover you for health expenses on the basis of the costs for a Maltese citizen.

If you think and want to cover yourself for a transfer back to the UK you should look into a travel health insurance that covers those costs as the EHIC does not usually cover these costs.

If you come to stay as a resident it is different.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky. Thank you so I actually only need to cover myself for the flight eg public liability etc?

emergency cover only though.... for the first three months

JayJay1970 wrote:

Hi again! :rolleyes:

Or do I need it for the 3 months visitor amount or do I take a years one out?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi JayJay

If you want to get travel insurance to cover your flight over, you should get insurance for that day only. There is no point in getting a longer one or an annual one, as you must be a permanent resident in a country where you are taking out insurance in order for it to be valid.

Have a safe trip

Tinna

Hi Tina, thanks for the help.

I have booked a one way insurance from virgin money in the uk which can be anything up to 5 days for the purpose of travelling but is actually terminated 24 hours after arrival.

Apparently nearly all insurers offer this but don't have it as a standard Internet self fill in form as a return trip insurance normally would be. I just called them and we did it over the phone or you can fill in a for m then call them to make it a single journey rather than return.

Cost about 10 euros with more than adequate cover.

I'm nearly there now! :proud