Wills

Not a subject everyone wants to talk about but nevertheless very important after all the rumours one hears  - so whats the craic with wills.

1. is your own home country will recognised here - if not can it be made so
2. do you need two seperate wills one for assets here and one for your assets in your home country
3. whats best way to deal with it - banks, solicitor / notary,  online wills, home-made or are there other options.
4. what do they cost?

am sure many more questions will be raised

Great post I never even thought about that!

Thought you were going to say well done to the royal family with the post title :D

Now Now JayJay - ive had enough of the royal thing to last me a lifetime... no its a serious thing and the reason I ask is I know someone who fell foul of it here in Malta last year and the surviving spouse is having massive problems

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they can get it sorted out as soon as possible.

Here's a link to a new directive (2012) signed by eu member states .

http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press … _87_en.htm

Toon,

When we had a will drafted a few months ago we mentioned that we where moving to Malta and was told if you had assets in the UK then that will be bee good but if all your assets are in Malta then you need a will drafted in Malta. If your assets are split then you need wills in both countries.

Ken

Rocking Ken wrote:

If your assets are split then you need wills in both countries.

sort of true - you can have a will in the UK and a codicil in Malta (an addition to the main will)

a friend of mine (not the one with the massive problems) was told that his UK will was or could be recognised here. and am just trying to find out more from anyone who has had the experience of it all.

Always advisable to have a will drawn up in the country you  currently live in. We had ours drawn up last year in Malta. Went to a local legal eagle (just down from you Toon). Everyone's circumstances are different and you need to be clear what you want before you go with regard to assets/ partner / family  etc.
She was very good and explained the law regarding our circumstances. It can be very complicated so don't listen to what people think will happen, get proper legal advice its not expensive.

Terry

I agree with Terry, everyone is different and it is necessary to get the right advise for you.If you have a number of assets in one country it is very important to have a will drawn up there as every country has different inheritance laws.

Elise

As I mentioned, you dont necessarily need a separate in Malta if you have one in the UK, as you can have a codicil written

georgeingozo wrote:

As I mentioned, you dont necessarily need a separate in Malta if you have one in the UK, as you can have a codicil written

Is this wrote up in the UK or Malta GnG?

In Malta if its for assets in Malta

assets - does that include cash

georgeingozo wrote:

so that would suggest that another will drawn up in a another country may be acceptable and enforcable in law here. assuming a codicil is in place here - all good questions and answers guys thanks again.

all food for thought and questions to be asked of a reputable firm.

and yes i totally agree terry - best to be safe than sorry as some friends have sadly found out.--- the hard way

Just read the previous posts with interest.  Thanks to all for the information and highlighting the importance of making a will or codicil here in Malta.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

assets - does that include cash

yes

One thing that we were advised to do was that if we had a joint bank account we should also ensure that we both had an account of our own. Once the bank is advised that one of you has died the joint account is frozen and can stay frozen for some months. So access to any funds held jointly will be blocked.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

One thing that we were advised to do was that if we had a joint bank account we should also ensure that we both had an account of our own. Once the bank is advised that one of you has died the joint account is frozen and can stay frozen for some months. So access to any funds held jointly will be blocked.

Terry

yes i had heard that too.

thats ok as we already have seperate accounts for just that reason.

For what it's worth, my research informs me that a will, drawn up in Malta, is absolutely essential, particularly if property is involved, as inheritance laws are different here.

I also understand that the EU is involved and against Maltese resistance, trying to introduce a Certificate of Succession to prevent  disputes and difficulties. Perhaps Byron could provide information?

Personally, I would have two wills drawn (or a codicil) and separate accounts.

However, local legal advice is essential. Perhaps John Huber?