Moving from Canada to Vietnam

I've already bought my plane ticket to Vietnam a while ago for January. Pretty excited but lots of researching to do. I think I'll have on-going questions related to moving to Vietnam as the day nears when I hop on the plane for Vietnam.

So a bit of a background. Prior to moving to Vietnam I'll be quitting my job. Upon landing in Vietnam I'll move in with my fiancee. She's already given 6 months notice for the tenants to vacate the house. I'll be hitting the ground planning our wedding for February while shopping for bed, furnitures and household supplies. The house will be bare bones when we move in.

So I'm trying to find out how I can move all my stuff that I have here in Calgary and what company best to do it with. I can bring 2 checked baggage. I want to bring along my 35 inch lcd monitor/tv. I'll package my motherboard for my computer so to save space. Don't have much clothes to bring as I can buy new ones in Vietnam. It's mostly electronics that I want to bring and the rest I can ship to my home in Toronto.

Khanh,

So you are ready to start your "big" family, hey?  Good for you.  Congrats!  :cheers:

Find a Vietnamese-Canadian shipping company for your belongings.  These guys will have better relations with Vietnamese customs, thus save you more and serve you much better.

You better stock up on clothes, too.  No, man, I don't mean the cold weather stuffs you Canadians wear.  :dumbom: 

I mean the casual and tropical clothes.  In my 5 years, I have yet to find any clothing article that I like in Vietnam.  Take that back.  I saw some, but they were more expensive than they should have been.  As a result, I had to go back to the US for my clothes or had them sent in.  Believe me dude, the stuffs they have "On Sale" are far better, in quality, than what you will find in department stores here.

You might also want to stockpile on First Aid kits and sporting equipments as well.  They are very poor in quality or very expensive here.

Best,
Howie

SIZE DOWN.
sell it or give it away...only stuff.
you can buy a better TV in Vietnam
store the art and some odds and ends but give most of the mess away to friends and forget it.
Take your 2 bags and enjoy your new life.
all the stuff we collect...especially the TVs and kitchen stuff is not really important.
Being with your new friend...living and working in your new land is all that life is cut to be.
and especially GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

CAPT.

a cause for much envy, best wishes for your future

Yeah Khanh, what's the deal with the tube? 

You are not coming to Vietnam to watch TV, are you???  Hey, there are a lot of dog and pony shows...  I can tell you that.

Why bring a 35" LCD TV to Vietnam?? They sell plenty of that here ... bigger too. Don't forget the kitchen sink!

Joking aside Khanh. I grew up in Calgary, did u ever eat at Pho Hoan on 17 ave SE and 50th St SE. Is it still there? Great pho there! Don't need to go to Vietnam to enjoys good food

never tried the pho but their bun bo hue is the worst. And their bun rieu is not even bun rieu. I think there bun bo hue was pho in disguise. Maybe I'll give the pho a try next time. Calgary's vietnamese food is nothing as good as Toronto's but I still like the freshness and ambience of Vietnamese food.

I heard electronics is more expensive in Vietnam and I need my computer for work. I love my lcd. It doubles as a computer monitor and tv. I do lots of video/picture editing as a side hobby so I like to see big pictures. I never watch television though.

Clothes wise I'm easy going. I can't tell what quality is so anything is fine. Besides I'll probably be naked most of the time. My fiance will wash and iron it everyday anyways.

First-aid is a definite. Will have to bring lots of tums, rolaids, and pepto bismal.

Luckily I don't have much stuff just the lcd and printer are the big ones I want to bring. Will have to sell my scooter,car and guitar. Leaving the rest for my friends.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It's been 12 years in the making that I've wanted to live in Vietnam. Just got the ok from my mom via e-mail too. Will blog about my experiences in Vietnam.

Remember VN is 220V 50Hz, Canada is 110V 60Hz.

You will have a problem here, even with tranformer motor (tools/small appliances) will run slower under 50Hz. I don't know about electronic stuff under 50 Hz.

Tag sale them before you go. Just bring money and buy new one here.

ah forgot about the voltage difference. Thanks! That's settled lcd will be shipped back to my hometown in Canada. Now I got more luggage space to bring Reese's peanut butter and Oh Henry.

My opinion is just bring your 'necessities' and a shaving brush if you have thick beard :D I was searching long time to buy one here!
Don't bring even your laptop. Just copy files to one 'smart USB pen drive'.

Prem Charma

Best of Luck to your new beginning mate.