Relocating to Riyadh..

Hello expats!
I have this job offer in Riyadh, I am just a step away from getting it!
My main worry is : Do the company that hires you really take your passport? What kind of procedures to follow if you want to go back home for 'personal' or urgent purposes?

Glad I stopped by the site & forum.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Expat-Blog and expatriation soon :)

Well, passport is taken (not confiscated). So you need not worry.

Going out is simple. Just ask them to issue you an exit re-entry visa and they'll deliver it to you in minutes alongwith the passport.

That was quick! :)
Thanks for the reply 'TheLegendLeads'. Appreciated.

And if you've never been to Saudia before, even if you *are* Muslim, do expect some culture shock ;)  This place is like no other!

I've never been to Saudia Allie, and oh well I just hope it does not last for long (I mean 'some' culture shock) :)

iss4m wrote:

I've never been to Saudia Allie, and oh well I just hope it does not last for long (I mean 'some' culture shock) :)

Hopefully it won't.  Strangely, in my experience, it's more prevalent in expat Muslims since they're not only adjusting to culture but also to the difference in how their religion is practiced.

Alliecat wrote:
iss4m wrote:

Hopefully it won't.  Strangely, in my experience, it's more prevalent in expat Muslims since they're not only adjusting to culture but also to the difference in how their religion is practiced.

I find that many think Saudi, being the birth place of Islam, is the ideal Muslim country and that all Saudis are descendants from the Prophet (PBUH), hence follow all-things-Islamic very well. When in fact, they will be disappointed right at the immigration counter when they land for the first time lol :D

hishmaj wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
iss4m wrote:

I find that many think Saudi, being the birth place of Islam, is the ideal Muslim country and that all Saudis are descendants from the Prophet (PBUH), hence follow all-things-Islamic very well. When in fact, they will be disappointed right at the immigration counter when they land for the first time lol :D

Yep ... EGG-zactly! :top:

Maybe even sooner, while on the plane, when all the western looking Arabs take a trip to the toilet and then appear in thobes/abayas/niqabs just before landing!

I have seen many from Morocco settling down amazingly fast. I don't know if the culture shock is not drastic for them or it's their very adapting nature. Language is big time plus for them no doubt.

Hello again!
I got back to my thread, greatly appreciated the replies! Google as well is my friend .. I have read more FAQs in the past few days than I have done in years!
"Upon entry into Saudi Arabia, my passport will be obtained and held by my employer and only following my three-month probation period, I may apply for an exit/re-entry visa which enables me to travel outside of the KSA" on the other hand "I am only able to proceed with an exit after obtaining THE IQAMA (takes a couple of weeks, but can take MONTHS Huhhhh???" If THAT IS A 100% FACT and REALITY then I do need to think twice.
I understand it's not a journey, it's a work and a commitment but I got urgent things to go back for and the idea was to 'try' to combine BOTH if possible, again expats : How a 100% are the facts I pasted above are a HUNDRED PERCENT ??
It's a long road! I don't want to step into the water if I can't swim. (I am a great swimmer though!!!).

Thank you.

Well, that is debatable

my company doesnt hold my passport. and i also always have a multiple exit in my passport. so not all are the same

Well 'Freshlikesushi'
Sure not all are the same but most companies do indeed take the employees passport! By now the company already informed 'us' that passports would be taken, the most complicated thing is about exiting and when one is able to!
Plus we can be honest! Passports do differ and so do the rules affecting the employee/passport holder!

US / EU Passport holder -> A CLASS (your case)
AUS / NZ Passport holder -> B Class (or can be also categorized A)
ASIAN / NON-OIL ARAB COUNTRIES (& such) -> C CLASS (last) and that would be my case!

no doubt.  but i was simply dispelling the generalization that all companies keep it.  that is all.

oh, and the pinoy dudes i work with have their passports too

Freshlikesushi wrote:

no doubt.  but i was simply dispelling the generalization that all companies keep it.  that is all.

Yes, it really depends on the employer. If it's a big reputable company, you enjoy better HR benefits.

For example, I know that Saudi Airlines employees get to keep their passports regardless of what nationality they are.

hishmaj wrote:
Freshlikesushi wrote:

Yes, it really depends on the employer. If it's a big reputable company, you enjoy better HR benefits.

For example, I know that Saudi Airlines employees get to keep their passports regardless of what nationality they are.

I may be wrong but in my experience if you're working for one of the ministries, they're insistent on holding your passport.  The way around that, however  is to *wink* forget *wink* to return it when you come back from holiday (which I've done and never gotten called out on).  This is one case where people not being on top of their jobs can work to your advantage :)

Being a muslim my self I have to admit islam is finishing as a religion world wide a lot of people come to Saudi for hope that there is some element of islam left in the land of our prophet (PBUH) but as some one has already mentioned wait till u land it is deffo a cultural shock. They say they are the perfect muslims but they are far from it look how they treat Pakistanis, Indians and general labour they have a separate lane for them there taken to to side to que up like their a disease. Have look your flight ! all arabs heading to KSA will be on the beverage trolly like no ones business :P

choudhers wrote:

Being a muslim my self I have to admit islam is finishing as a religion world wide a lot of people come to Saudi for hope that there is some element of islam left in the land of our prophet (PBUH) but as some one has already mentioned wait till u land it is deffo a cultural shock. They say they are the perfect muslims but they are far from it look how they treat Pakistanis, Indians and general labour they have a separate lane for them there taken to to side to que up like their a disease. Have look your flight ! all arabs heading to KSA will be on the beverage trolly like no ones business :P

Religion is one thing and nationalism is the other. Draw a clear line between (because that's the reality) and many things will start making sense :)

choudhers wrote:

Never judge people by their religion, judge them but their actions! What you have stated has to do with the system and domestic politics! KSA system/local politics is indeed contradicting 'itself' when it comes religion. It's not the religion that is ruling jobs because Islam has nothing to do with the way the system there treats immigrants. Islam has nothing to do with all this and you just felt on the face saying that it is finishing as a religion world wide! WRONG
We can discuss laws, habits, traditions but you certainly make a mistake linking all this to religion.

@iss4m  you disabled your private messaging?

Alliecat wrote:

Screw me Allie! :( I probably did that by mistake, thought I disabled notifications coming to my email inbox! My bad!!! There I enable it back right now.

iss4m wrote:

Screw me Allie!

I'm not going to screw you (lol do you know American slang?!?) but I WILL do this to you:

:dumbom:

Alliecat wrote:
iss4m wrote:

Screw me Allie!

I'm not going to screw you (lol do you know American slang?!?) but I WILL do this to you:

:dumbom:

Haha

iss4m wrote:
choudhers wrote:

Never judge people by their religion, judge them but their actions! What you have stated has to do with the system and domestic politics! KSA system/local politics is indeed contradicting 'itself' when it comes religion. It's not the religion that is ruling jobs because Islam has nothing to do with the way the system there treats immigrants. Islam has nothing to do with all this and you just felt on the face saying that it is finishing as a religion world wide! WRONG
We can discuss laws, habits, traditions but you certainly make a mistake linking all this to religion.

You are very right, but if only everyone realizes this before coming here.

hishmaj wrote:

You are very right, but if only everyone realizes this before coming here.

EGG-zactly right.  Many Muslims come with a very idealistic vision of how things *should* be but it can prove to be very different when you're on the ground.

Alliecat wrote:

I couldn't eavesdrop :(
So what was that about? :D

They say If you want real science you need to come to the subject with a blank sheet of paper with nothing already written on it and then begin testing your evidence.

Good morning

It really depends on the company that you are working for and the position that you hold.

generally all labourers, operaters, tradesmen etc will have their p p held by the company.
If you are in management then generally you will keep your passport, hoever the situation varies from company to company.

As regards leaving when you want, this is only possible if you have a multiple entry visa in your passport. Otherwise you have to get your company to apply for an exit/ re-entry visa

Regards

Trev

trevorcox wrote:

Good morning

It really depends on the company that you are working for and the position that you hold.

generally all labourers, operaters, tradesmen etc will have their p p held by the company.
If you are in management then generally you will keep your passport, hoever the situation varies from company to company.

As regards leaving when you want, this is only possible if you have a multiple entry visa in your passport. Otherwise you have to get your company to apply for an exit/ re-entry visa

Regards

Trev

Clear + Straight answers. Thank you!

iss4m wrote:
trevorcox wrote:

Good morning

Regards

Trev

Clear + Straight answers. Thank you!

Not really straight since he had to use the word 'generally' (where I work most of us aren't laborers or tradesmen and yet the system is that our employer 'holds' our passports).

Something you'll learn when you get here is that for every general policy, there are just as many exceptions (kind of like the general rules for English grammar lol).