How to sell apartment in Beijing?

Hi there!

Could you help me with any info (links, official websites, stories etc) about how a foreigner can sell apartment in Beijing?

My situation is as following. I have an apartment in TongZhou. I signed the sale contract and got even a deposit. Now my agent (HomeLink) is hysterical saying he has no experience with laowais and we need to prepare a lot of documents. He is very inconsistent. Besides, to make matter even worse, I live now in Shenzhen.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you get lots of advise soon.

All the best,
Christine

I living in tongzhou, can you tell more detail of your apartment? I want to buy apartment for investment. my emailL: [email protected]

Hello chenqu2013.

If you're looking forward to buy an appartment, i would suggest you to browse this page -> Properties for sale in Beijing or even post an advert there.

Thanks.

Karen :)

you should find another agent (you are not legally bound to work with the current one) who knows how to deal with this stuff. Often the foreign banks (for example HSBC) have good contacts, because they finance most of the foreigners who purchase apartments.
How does it work for you as a foreigner selling an apartment tax wise? Would be interested to hear, if you have a chance to post here after you are done, would be appreciated.

I don't believe selling an apartment is the hard part. It's the buying portion which is much more difficult.

I'd suggest moving away from HomeLink. In my experience, they are incredibly underhanded when dealing with people (not just foreigners, but locals as well) They'll tell you whatever they feel like to get you to do what's in their best interest. They wanted to charge me extra for brokering a deal when buying a place on top of the standard commission.

As mentioned below (or above) you are free to move away from the company. In most cases, a lot of Beijing sellers tend to farm out their property to many different agents and see which one gets the best price. It's a very messed up real estate system here, but that's the way you have to do it while you're here.

Just FYI, once you sell your property, you won't be eligible to buy another one because of the new rules, since you don't live in Beijing anymore.

Best of luck with the sale!