Top location for retirement in Thailand

Hi all,

I am a student from a university in Bangkok. I am doing a project on top location for expat to retire in Thailand.
Going through the website, I gain pretty good idea on a few top locations that is favorable. However, I am looking for some sort of statistic to validate and explore possibilities of other least popular province, but yet is still a source of retirement.

If any friend have an idea where that data can be found, if exsist, I would kindly appreciate the help.

In turn, I am willing to share my experience being and living in Bangkok with you and is looking forward for a nice chat.

New S.

Immigration would be the right source for info you seek but a response from them is unlikely.

Give this link a look and it may point you in the right direction.

http://www.burning-bison.com/expats.htm

Straydog wrote:

Immigration would be the right source for info you seek but a response from them is unlikely.

Great link and thanks for sharing, like many expats I would love to know the figures.  The Brits abroad report recently quoted 50,000 Brits living here, which I thought seemed high.

doublenew wrote:

Hi all,

I am a student from a university in Bangkok. I am doing a project on top location for expat to retire in Thailand.
Going through the website, I gain pretty good idea on a few top locations that is favorable. However, I am looking for some sort of statistic to validate and explore possibilities of other least popular province, but yet is still a source of retirement.

If any friend have an idea where that data can be found, if exsist, I would kindly appreciate the help.

In turn, I am willing to share my experience being and living in Bangkok with you and is looking forward for a nice chat.

New S.

Good luck with your research, great to see a Thai citizen showing such interest.

Sadly as the link Straydog provided eludes to, the Thai authorities really haven't got a clue on the relevant stats. This is not to say records are not kept, for example I submit about six pieces of paper everytime I report my address(every 90 days). The same  DUPLICATED  paper is therefore submitted 4 times each year. They must have a big warehouse somewhere ;-)

When I leave and enter Thailand it is recorded on a computer sytem.  When I renew my visa extension(yearly) it is recorded on paper and a computer system and yet Thai Immigration cannot say how many expats live here?

As for your research on locations that are popular with expats, sure Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Issan( a lot of cities there)are popular, but do not reflect all the other places many of us call home.

Of course the only people who know these locations are.....Thai Immigration......but they can't tell you!

For the record I have lived in Prachuap Khiri Khan(Mueang) and Phitsanulok, where I can assure you there are plenty of long term expats.

Straydog wrote:

Hi K.Straydog

Thanks for the point out, this is good pointer to begin with. I've talked with few of the government agency in the list, but doesn't quite answer what I am looking for.

From your experience, what are the top factors you look for before deciding where to go?

Thanks !

thetefldon wrote:

Good luck with your research, great to see a Thai citizen showing such interest.

Sadly as the link Straydog provided eludes to, the Thai authorities really haven't got a clue on the relevant stats. This is not to say records are not kept, for example I submit about six pieces of paper everytime I report my address(every 90 days). The same  DUPLICATED  paper is therefore submitted 4 times each year. They must have a big warehouse somewhere ;-)

When I leave and enter Thailand it is recorded on a computer sytem.  When I renew my visa extension(yearly) it is recorded on paper and a computer system and yet Thai Immigration cannot say how many expats live here?

As for your research on locations that are popular with expats, sure Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Issan( a lot of cities there)are popular, but do not reflect all the other places many of us call home.

Of course the only people who know these locations are.....Thai Immigration......but they can't tell you!

For the record I have lived in Prachuap Khiri Khan(Mueang) and Phitsanulok, where I can assure you there are plenty of long term expats.

Yep, I believe they do have that within each province immigration portal, but uncertain that they will do share it to the public.

I have some good idea of the concentration of foreign population on non immigrant visa breakdown by provinces, but from that I couldn't break it down to different purposes e.g retirement,business,education. However, Ill share this in this thread as soon as I have something concrete on retirement :)

Thanks for sharing top destination , if there any more least popular from the list that you know off?

Also just a quick question, what factors you look for before moving in a certain provinces?

I've heard some do look for ease of access to medical services?

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing top destination , if there any more least popular from the list that you know off?

Also just a quick question, what factors you look for before moving in a certain provinces?

I've heard some do look for ease of access to medical services?

A few other places I know are popular with expats, Kanchanaburi, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Udon, and the islands for starters ;-)

Factors before moving?

Personally, since infrastructure is fairly standard throughout Thailand, I would be attracted to a province that satisfies my life style requirements.  For example I like wildlife photography, the mountains and fresh air. But dislike bars, tourists and too many expats. Medical services are not a consideration for me.

You should understand there are many reasons people select a particular location in Thailand for retirement. 

Some make their decision based on news print articles they have read about the 10 cheapest cities in the world to live.  This group may have never visited Thailand and base decision on print article and their financial situation.

Others have visited Thailand's many tourist destinations, and perhaps rural area's, and make their choice based on lifestyle each offered and what they desire.

You also have people who meet a lady on the internet and agree to settle in her home town regardless of location.  Perhaps they have visited Thailand in the past.  This group will also have people who have settled in a major tourist area but after meeting a lady they move from their location of choice to her home town for a multitude of reasons.

I originally moved to my Thai wife's home town after we returned from a 28 year life in the  US.  Although it was a place I could live it was not the most exciting place to live even though we were close to Korat.  After her death in 2011 I relocated to Bangkok and now Pattaya.  I love Bangkok because it has so much to offer but found the traffic and air pollution unbearable which is why I moved to Pattaya.

You should understand there are many reasons people select a particular location in Thailand for retirement.

I agree on that..

Know people here in Thailand that NEED people from back home to speak too every day/week, so they chose a area that have that.

Some here NEED food like back home every day, so they chose area that have that for them..I have a few friends in Thailand that canŽt eat Thai food, even after 10 years here....

My self come from a very small town, and i all ways dream about living in a big city, so here i am...
I chose a area of the city that fare away from Tourist, not have the Bars like in big Tourist place, but have anything i NEED..
So for now this is okay..

I like it that it is easy to train station, air port, bus station, so it is very easy for me to go on trips, i do love to travel and see new place in Thailand...
Lot of good hospital in short range, if need it..

I do miss the sea, so at one point in my life here, i am going to move to the sea, but i am young and have time, no rush, still enjoy every day, every min here...
Found some really good and nice Friends in this area, so here and now i am happy...