Education at U of I and living in Iceland

Hello all, I am about to graduate with a degree in chemistry and I want to get a PhD or a Masters with respect to renewable energy at the U of I (or something similar).

I have read most of your blogs and read through this entire forum, so I have a basic idea for the cost of living and tuition fees, but what I really want to know is do I need to speak Icelandic fluently to attend the U of I in a PhD program? Does anyone know? And would anyone happen to know about funding for such programs or degrees?

I really want to attend school in Iceland, but if I don't make at least a little bit of money while I am there in school, I don't see how I can support myself while attending.

I am really excited about the cost of tuition, and I have a modest amount of USD in savings to cover that, but not enough to cover the cost of living. Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help and all the info you guys have posted up already!

Hello. My name is Ramin, from Iran/male,40 years old, married and have 2 children, a boy/15 and a girl/10. I have MA in Art Research and I'd like to continue my educations for Phd in history of Art.I also have some useful background in music and Islamic Art. I am a member of house of music in Iran(as a composer) and as a lecturer in university I teach history of Art, Islamic Art,Culture and Civilization of Islam and Iran. I can read and write Arabic and can understand it for about 50%. Also a few French(reading and about 25% understanding).Also I can read Russian. Here in Iran  I translate books from English to Persian.
I'd like very much to work in university as a researcher. I have a good background in humanity and interested in interdisciplinary studies including Art, History, Philosophy,Politics and Sociology.Because of the horrible situations in Iran concerning to human rights,dictatorship and... I have decided to immigrate to a place where I can work (research)and study (getting my Phd).As I know there in Iceland is an ideal  place where I can be useful for human being and of course a good place for my family to live in.So, I 'm interested to immigrate to Iceland but I don;t have any access to any guide source here in Iran (even there is no embassy here).  It's very kind of you to give me some advice about my case .
Thanks in advance for your attention.
Ramin Hajianfard/Tehran/Iran

re: ulskegg, I'm not working for a university, nor am I a student so take my comments with a grain of salt :)

I do know of several people who have worked (or are working now) on phd's here in many fields who've definitely not spoken fluent Icelandic. Most of them are German and are affiliated with some university in their home country but there may be another way around this.

Why not try giving the school of your choice a call, or dropping them a line? They're certainly the best way to get the most authoritative information.

Thank you so much for the reply! I imagine there must be some way that people deal with the language issue, seeing as U of I is an international school. I feel better about that based on what you have said.

And this week is finals week for me, after which I will be actively trying to get in contact with the school and the professors there.

Thank you again, and if you hear of anything that could help, please let me know!

you can check in the ugla system on UI website you can find in wich language your programme is presented