Considering Moving to Marseille

Hi!

First time posting. I've just got back from a year traveling the world, amazing! Now I'm back in Ireland and I'm kind of bored of it already. I was thinking about moving to France to learn the language and enjoy the culture.

The thing is I don't know anyone over there, and my French is very basic. Also I'm 29, so it's not as easy make friends as if I was 19 I guess.

Does anyone have any tips on whether this is a good idea, is it easy enough to make friends? I'm outgoing and into sports, rock climbing especially.

I work in IT, I'm a software developer, I'm not sure if there are much opportunities for me in Marseille.

I'd like to share an apartment/house with some people aroudn the same age as myself, to make friends and learn the language...

Any tips/comments?

Thanks ou Merci!

Hi,

I don't want to discourage you but I moved to Marseille last year and it's not easy. Making friends is often difficult because the mentality here is (as they say) "special".

Just do more homework on the city and the country or come over on holiday to see what it's like before making a proper move.

Hi , I agree .. i am here also since one year and it is really difficult .. making freinds is not at all easy as well , till
now i am going to work and back home and that's it and when going out very rarerly to have a company.. anyway it is also depends on personalities and hence you should not count on our opinion that much.

You might look into whether there is a couchsurfing group there - they often do more than share a room - look for someone who will have coffee or a drink with you and talk about the area and the culture.  They may have ideas specific to the city. (couchsurfing.org)

Hi Edmond,

I'm not sure it's so difficult to find friend if you try to speak french.  Then to optimize your chance, you can play sport like soccer or rugby, and follow the local team(OM) with your future colleague!
For the rock climbing, Marseille is the best place with the calanque and I think you should be able to find a club.
Lastly, if you decide to go to Marseille, I work for IT company. I don't think I can mention the name...
Don't hesitate to contact me to get more informations or tosend me your CV.

Mars13008 le marseillais