Job for German SO

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but not to expat life. I am from the US originally, taught English in China for one year, and recently completed a two-year MA in Germany. I will be starting my PhD in Melbourne next month.

My question concerns my significant other. He is German (native German speaker, fluent in English), and plans to join me in January. However, we are worried about him finding a job and getting a visa. The visa is a particular concern since we are not married and thus I cannot add him to mine.

He completed a three-year apprenticeship after high school and has worked for a similar company since completing his training. He has an office job; the company manufactures and sells laboratory equipment (to hospitals and universities mostly) and he is in the sales department.

He has begun searching for jobs but of course many of the listings do not mention visa status, if companies grant work visas, etc.

Since I am in academia and really don't know much about Australia's job market, do you have any advice on where he can get started? Besides his ability to work in English, are there any advantages to German language skills in Melbourne?

Many thanks!
-L

peacebird.

Unfortunately it is getting harder and harder for people from other countries to get a visa or a job in Australia. The government is cracking down on companies rorting the system and people using them to enter the country illegally.

The time and cost of getting a visa puts companies off applying for them as they only need someone on a contract basis and not permanent.

Language skills are not something in demand but it could be worthwhile checking online for language schools in Melbourne and approaching them.

Perhaps he could apply for a working holiday visa, if not too old, and then work here for a time whilst trying to find something more permanent.

Have you thought of getting married ??