Basic necessities

I have seen references to a lack of paper products, and I saw someone planning to bring food-quality baking soda back from the US (for bathing, tooth brushing.....).  Sorry if I missed other blogs with good info, but I'll ask about how to find what most would consider necessities in the US but may not be available at all, or only in the big cities.

But for example, in Cuenca, any problem with any of the following (or others that might be an issue):

Toothpaste and tooth brushes?
What kind of paper products?  - toilet or kleenex, notepaper/copy paper, ???
Deodorant?
Beer? 
Peanut butter?
Potato chips (I'm addicted to Lays but can live without - LOL)
Shaving cream?
Hair products?
Razor blades?
Not sure what else to ask about.

I won't be upset if something specific is not available.  My wife and I have spent several years in distant lands and can go with the flow.  But no toilet paper might be a problem.  I also don't to sound ignorant but other posts lead you to believe that lots of things we take for granted aren't available. 

I know that wine/alcohol are more expensive with limited selection but would hope to find some drinkable wine in Cuenca or Loja. 

Thanks very much.  Great blog and good posts (for the most part).
Joe

Not sure what blogs you were reading.  I can't think of one of the products you mentioned that are not available.

Imported peanut butter is more expensive than national.  Depends on your taste.  Baking soda is harder to get but not impossible.  National beer is quite acceptable, but more like American than European beer.  There are also some imported beers.  All iported alcohol is more expensive.

We brink a box of two of baking soda with us or have it muled in.

You could find everything (save a couple) on your list at TIA (Ecuador's version of a Walgreen's), except the peanut butter. I haven't seen that at TIA, but I don't use it, so I've not looked for it. I just saw a post showing Jif at Supermaxi. 510g for $7.38 and 794g for $10.11. That would buy a few beers, which doesn't go as well with jelly, works for me.

Also,I don't recall seeing potato chips. I did find, and enjoy, potato strings (just like shoestring potatoes you get here. They are pretty greasy and salty (two of my favorite food groups) and go real nice with beer.

Have I mentioned beer? The two biggest national beers are Pilsener and Club. Pilsener is a golden brew (basically like most American Beers), and Club is a bit hoppier (I've compared it to being a Heineken wannabe). I prefer Pilsener and have a couple of places that I can get 22oz bottles for $1.25 to $1.50 with my dinner. Two of those makes me ready for bed :-)

Imported spirits have pretty heavy duties, so that makes them more expensive. However,Ecuadorian Rum (Ron) made in Cuenca is inexpensive and drinkable... well, after the first one...

Paper products (office type paper and products), I have always gone to Papelería Monsalve. They have all kinds of paper products and pens, pencils, markers, erasers, etc. They have 5 stores in Cuenca.

symo

It never ceases to amaze me how Americans sometimes view other countries. Yes, Ecuadorians are poor, but they don't live in a wasteland. There are big cities with most of the things you need, including everything on your list. Some things may be of lower quality or maybe a little different from what you are used to. But, some things are much better. The Shullo brand peanut butter has two ingredients: peanuts and salt. But you can also buy the American brand, Skippy, with about 13 ingredients (most of which are unnecessary and bad for you).

Having said all that, hopefully in a non-critical way, you are right to ask what you can't get here. There are some things.  You won't find: Maple Syrup, fresh cranberries, or blueberries. Supplements are problematic. Those few that are available may be knockoffs and be of inferior quality. Forget getting sublingual B12; doesn't exist here. Spices are limited, and while many may be available, they also can be hard to find, allspice, for example. I have yet to find chilli powder like that in the U.S. and smoked hungarian paprika must be hiding from me. And, where is all that Okra grown in Chilli; is it all imported to the U.S. I miss my gumbo.

Electronics are expensive and limited in branding. I bought over a Mac-mini and a high-quality, 19-inch ViewSonics monitor and I am glad I did. Got it through customs with no hassle. Monitors over 20 inches can be a problem, though. Clothes and shoe prices here will make your eyes water. Cars are very expensive, but you may not need one. I have not seen any hobby stuff (for simple electronic projects, for example). For any given item, brand selection will be far less than you are use to. Furniture is widely available, but I don't particularly like the style; I confess to being an IKEA lover. Yep, I am that kind of person.

There will be a few bumps in the road, and finding things can be like  going on a quest. I have to laugh, because you might go into a small jewelry store and find that they also carry a few supplements - go figure. Things are not organized in the way you might expect. But, if you can do without real maple syrup (heavens forbid), you will find everything you really need and even most of the things you really want.

As always, this is strictly my experience; milage varies according to user. BTW, has anyone in Ecuador ever seen real maple syrup here? Such information could have a big reward, but, note for record, I am not promising. Just suggesting in the hopes someone can cough-up this valuable information.

I have to admit, and age isn't the problem as I have always been that way, that I can forget even the most important things.  So I don't remember exactly which blog I read about peanut butter and (quality) paper products being difficult to find.  I actually read that with a grain of salt, which is the reason I asked on the blog. 

We spent a couple of years in Mexico and walked many miles to find things we needed or wanted.  Some things we used to love, we just gave up and found we really didn't need them that much.  I did walk 5 miles (round trip) in my tank top, shorts, and flip flops (big mistake) to get some Lays potato chips at a little store in the farmland outside of town in Tonga.  Why they had it I don't know.  You could always find chicken-flavored chips in the South Pacific - yuck!  And canned corn beef was a staple.  We never starved though and were pretty happy to be there and experiencing all the good people and adventures.  So we are very used to adapting to wherever. 

I never drank beer (bier) until I got to Germany in the Army, and then got hooked on their strong flavors.  I drink IPA's now but love a good Pilsner so I am sure I'll be happy with that. 

Quito0819:  are mules easy to rent there?  That sounds like a good option to bringing hard to find stuff in.  My mom came to Texas with my grandparents in a covered wagon pulled by oxen, and my brother still has his mules, so I have a long background with critters like that.  No problemo.

I appreciate all your comments.  I have read consistently about electronics, imported booze, and shoes being expensive.  So that confirms that.  I'm sure we'll be able to deal with it all regardless.  I was pretty incredulous about the baking soda I have to admit.

I'll bring some Grade A maple syrup down and we can have some pancakes together.

Joe

Exskipper wrote:

I was pretty incredulous about the baking soda I have to admit.

Yea, the baking soda thing is weird. I was told that baking soda was used in making drugs, so the government restricts its sales to small quantities. That is hard for me to believe. But, at least here in Loja, there is always someone who can get you larger quantities. if you ask. But, finding it in a store is not easy. Even the Loja SuperMaxi does not carry it and they have the broadest selection of any grocery store.

Baking soda is mixed into cocaine while it is cooking to make it into a solid to smoke in a pipe.

Actually it is used here with base (paste-base-powder) and is cheaper than "rock" or "crack" cocaine that is common in the States.  What is a bit wacky about the law is that cleaning (non food grade) is readily available...but I guess someone thought that no one would be so unethical as to use non food grade baking soda...

I wonder how bakeries get baking soda?

Thanks mugtech and quito 0819, I had no idea. One more mystery in life solved, but the backlog doesn't seem to be diminishing.

Joseph K, I find that older I get, the moew aware I become of just how little I do know...

Joseph K wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how Americans sometimes view other countries.

Is it your impression that people in other countries have accurate views about life in the US?

I find that most people in most countries are ignorant about places they haven't experienced first-hand. Which is not at all surprising.

Therefore, I don't see any reason to single out one nation's people for ridicule, as seems to be increasingly common here.

Bob

BobH wrote:
Joseph K wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how Americans sometimes view other countries.

I don't see any reason to single out one nation's people for ridicule, as seems to be increasingly common here.

If you see this as ridicule, then you misunderstand my intention. This was an observation that it is amazing (that is, a fact one might not think is true) that so many people (in this case, an American) can be so unaware of  things in the world, such as those basic things available in a country. Of course this is true of people in other countries. But, in this case the person is, in fact, American, and not from some other country.

Please note the beginning of the second paragraph of my comment: "having said that, hopefully in a non critical way..." I think it is very clear no disrespect or ridicule was intended and I sincerely hope Exskipper did not take it that way.

Joseph K wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how Americans sometimes view other countries. Yes, Ecuadorians are poor, but they don't live in a wasteland.

Does it ever amaze you how Ecuadorians view other countries, specifically the USA?

Joseph K wrote:

Spices are limited, and while many may be available, they also can be hard to find, allspice, for example.

In Quito, I see allspice at almost every market.  They call it pimienta dulce.  It's used in many of the hot drinks like morocho, colada morada, and canelazo. 

You're on your own for real maple syrup.  Good luck.

jm141302 wrote:

They call it pimienta dulce.  It's used in many of the hot drinks like morocho, colada morada....

Thanks John. This brings up one of those other challenges in finding things: what do you call something? For example if you wanted popcorn, would you ask for palomitas de maíz, cotufas, crispetas, or canguil (just a few among many choices —canguil is used in Ecuador). What I think I am looking for is called "pimienta de Jamaica" in Spanish. But I it is quite possible I am confused. "Allspice" has a darker color than pimienta dulce and has a feint cinnamon (canela) flavor.  It is my secret ingredient in spaghetti and puts a bit of magic in french toast. Hopefully, one day I will happen upon pimienta de Jamaica and I will know. Or, I can just bring allspice back when I visit the U.S.

In general, Quito, as does Guayaquil, has a greater selection than Cuenca.  I know some people here in Cuenca that will go to Guayaquil to buy certain things.

Would there be an issue bringing in larger computer monitors say 27-30"?
Also I asked once before, computer parts and networking gear.  If we move there, would it be necessary to bring in everything including spares?

I believe that monitors over twenty inches will be charged an import fee, but I don't know how much that fee would be. People have varying experiences for this type of situation, but I would count on the fees being high, possibly fifty percent of purchase value. But again, there is no way to be certain because it is, to some degree, at the discretion of the inspector. I brought in a 19-inch monitor without problems.

Electronic gear is usually easy to find here, but something newer, like a 802.11 ac wireless router may not be available yet. Brand selection is very limited. Electronic parts, such as a replacement laptop power adapter are available and not too expensive because they are a generic clone ($30 for a Sony adapter, for example). Works fine though. As with all electronic equipment, it is less expensive to bring your own as long as you are reasonable about how much you bring.

If you have electronics that use other than the standard D, C, A, AA, etc, you may want to buy few rechargeables for that odd size and bring them with a charger. I have a SteriPen that uses RCR123 batteries and they are hard to find here.

Electronic and computer repair shops are common. I don't know about the quality of their work, but if they are like other repair shops, the work may be spotty. It would be a good idea to have a recommendation for one.

The three larger cities in Ecuador will each have most everything you need. But, one city may have something another doesn't. It is hard to know, because the cities are so large and it takes a person a while to become familiar with where things are. In time, you will eventually find what you need. But, it is true that some people travel to another city because they are aware a specific bargain or that a certain place has what they are looking for. I am thinking of a special store in Quito which has very comfortable memory foam beds and will deliver even a far as Loja. Then, there is the fun factor in shopping in another city. If you are going to look for things, you might as well have fun. I like to combine shipping trips to Quito with a visit to the Botanical Gardens there. You can always find something extra to make the trip worthwhile.

Does this effect the container we can bring in?  I have heard you can bring in a 40 footer.  I am guessing I might need a 10-20 foot one.

Drmark wrote:

Does this effect the container we can bring in?  I have heard you can bring in a 40 footer.  I am guessing I might need a 10-20 foot one.

No, I was speaking of air travel. The rules affecting containers will be different depending on the circumstances. For examplle, there may be a time period when you obtain residency that some fees may be waived. However, I am not farmiliar with the rules. Hopefully, someone with that experience can fill you in. I do know that there is a lot of information on this topic in older threads.

we use a lot of baking soda. It is good for everything. I use it for a bath salt mix that pulls radiation out of the body. If you drink it will alkalize your body and pull out heavy metals and internal radioactive particles. If you take it with maple syrup, it will kill cancer cells. It is a great cleanser and good for your teeth. I hope they let me bring what I have already. I have no interest in drugs.

Healer wrote:

we use a lot of baking soda.  I have no interest in drugs.

You got the right idea, they be thinking  "She gonna be rockin' up some cocaine with all that baking soda."  Is it available in the Andes?

Joseph,
I know that you are no longer living here,but can anyone please tell me where I can buy large quantities of BAKING SODA?  I need it for my ceramic kiln firing process, I can convert it to carbonate of soda simply by putting it into my kitchen oven awhile, and bicarbonate of soda, or baking soda, is where to start.  I am very eager to find a source of banking soda in Loja.  I live outside of Vilcabamba.
HelenPivoine

HelenPivoine wrote:

Joseph,
I know that you are no longer living here,but can anyone please tell me where I can buy large quantities of BAKING SODA?

Do you have a Mi Comisariato in Loja. If so they sell 340g for about $2. It's an Ecuadorean brand called Tips.

Thank you.  I am not certain of the existance of a tienda called Mi Comisariato.  I hope that someone in Loja will know about it.
HelenPivoine

The Tips bicarbonato de sodio contains boric acid and is intended as a cleaning agent...even though it says "Baking Soda" on the label 

http://www.calbaq.com/index.php?option= … &id=23

As I understand it, you can buy real baking soda in larger quantities from commercial chemical suppliers if you submit this form (issued by the Secretaria Tecnica de Drogas) for occasional use:

http://www.prevenciondrogas.gob.ec/?page_id=86

Charlie B

Charlie,

Thank you so much for this information.  Actually a bit of boric acid in with the soda might be good in my ceramic particular case.  Would like to start with the  pure material in quantity, however.  Now all I need to find is a chemical supplier in Loja.  Readers, any suggestions?  I am assuming that I submit the form to the chemical supplier.  I will have to read the complete website to be more informed.

HelenPivoine

I just saw Aunt Jemima syrup in Megamaxi in Ambato, Ecuador.  I would suppose they have it in other Mega or Supermaxi's.

Jiffys peanut butter I can live without and have for almost ever, but I do like to use Sesame Tahini and Almond butter is a real luxury.........Does anyone remember coming across Sesame Tahini in Ecuador? Here in Panama its fairly easy to find and not rediculously priced. Fairly similar to the States....I saw it in Nicaragua but at premium prices.........all the specialty items that I came across there were at premium prices........But they do have a PriceSmart outside of Managua.....Quite a few of em here in Panama....Are there any in Ecuador? Didnt spend enuff time in either of the big cities to really investigate that........

One of the most essential necessities for me was tea. Up to this point all of my tea was imported as in literally imported by friends and relatives. Ecuador for some reason did not have proper tea but now they do - Hornimans EXPORT/exportación Black Tea, and not to be confused with what they sold before locally. It's not cheap either at about $2.50 for 25 tea bags, the 100 tea bag box is about $7, but will definitely get it next time to save some money. As for quality it's almost as good as Lipton, and I'm good with that.

For all you Hummus lovers, I have good news. Megamaxi is now selling Tahini in 500 ml jars which are imported from our neighbor, Colombia. The cost is $6.78. You will find it near the local peanut butter, the type that is used for cooking because some Ecuadorian recipes use peanut putter.