Confused whether to take the plunge

Hi

I'm an Indian and an MBA (Finance) currently evaluating a potential opportunity with a large reputed bank in Bahrain in the front-office (investment analysis). Their initial offer is BHD 1500 (basic) + BHD 800 (accomodation allowance) + annual tickets (dont know how many) + medical coverage for self, family.

Where I'm confused:
1) I have about 5 years post-MBA work-ex in India in finance. My wife is also MBA (finance) working with one of India's largest banks in a core finance function. How easy/difficult would it be for her to find a job in Bahrain ? If she finds a job then moving to Bahrain is a no-brainer financially

2) If she doesn't find a job, then the net savings - im tentatively assuming a saving of some 800 odd BHD ? (is this amount fair? or too high/low? we're simple folk, no pubs/bars/clubbing etc) - might not justify the movie since the risk premium is too low.

3) Are there any restrictions on women there in terms of clothing, movement etc?

4) I'm not convinced the salary being offered is competitive considering my experience levels. Does anyone on this forum have any view/data on this?

5) I've read its not possible to switch jobs once one reaches there? So what happens if I'm not too happy with the company/job once i reach? I know ...caveat emptor...but still...

6) Any other advice ...?

thanks and all the best

Hi. The offer appears a good starting offer. If you can negotiate, then go ahead and try your chances.

Responses to your questions:
1) Your wife will be able to find a suitable job here. Do bear in mind that the finance field does have qualified Bahrainis so she will have to compete for any available positions.

2) If you are simple folks, you should be able to save much more than BD800 per month. A fairly decent 2 bedroom furnished apartment would cost you about BD500 (give or take) per month. Monthly car instalment and fuel and maintenance could be about BD300. Food and incidentals about BD150 to 200 at the most.

3) Women, and indeed men, should be clothed. :) Other than that people can wear what they want as long as it is decent and appropriate. Ladies can move around freely and it is quite safe.

4) As I said, the offer seems good. But feel free to negotiate and push for a little more.

5) You can freely switch jobs in Bahrain. There may be restrictions certain employers impose, but the law permits free mobility of employees. Check the LMRA (Labour Market Regulatory Authority) website for more information on this.

6) Put your best foot forward and come over!

Best wishes.

Hi Should I and welcome to the forum,

Almost all Farhaz's assertions are prefectly right.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't be so affirmative on the point number 1 and as far as point number 5 is concerned, it's wrong. You cannot switch job during the first year of employment unless your current employer approves your move (which is not that common).
Eveything about mobility HERE
Check also in your contract, some include a clause of no competition that forbid you to seek for another employment with a competitor.

Anyway, you have a probation period. If really you are fed up with your employer, during that period you can leave him with only one day notice. If you can't use the mobility, you can still fly out and back in the country for a new employer to apply for a new visa for you. Unless the non competition clause of course !

Good luck to you and keep us posted whatever you decide :D

Cheers

Olivier

Thanks for the correction Olivier. ... And I certainly do stand corrected about point 5. Was not aware of the need for current employer approval if within one year.

After having worked with the same employer for the past 12 years, this never struck me :dumbom::)

Also on a side note. You can get a Brand new kia rio car for around BD160 a month. You can get a 2 bed apartment for around BD350 - BD450 a month. Food is very cheap and you should easily live on BD150 a month for food.