EHIC card application

Have somebody tried to apply for EHIC cards without id card but with the A4 id receipt ?

Entity wrote:

Have somebody tried to apply for EHIC cards without id card but with the A4 id receipt ?

I thought that these are now issued from the UK?
Terry

No, every EU country issues those to their citizens, actually, where u pay the social contribution, there u can request it.

So if u work in Malta, u can ask for that card:
https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … _ehic.aspx

actually it can be residency based or national insurance contributions based.

tearnet wrote:
Entity wrote:

I thought that these are now issued from the UK?
Terry

Definitely not if you are Hungarian :-)

Malta if paying social security contribs in Malta, home country if of pensionable age and getting state pension from home country.

If below retirement age and not paying social sec contribs then no entitlement to EHIC.

agreed GnG

I refer to the E.U. Healthcare Entitlement Unit website which discloses that as regards renewing a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), ‘……An EHIC is usually valid for 3 years……'

Source: https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … _ehic.aspx

What the Maltese authorities actually mean by ‘usually' valid for 3 years is a matter of public record, as follows: 
The Times of Malta, Tuesday, May 26, 2009:
Health insurance cards for foreigners in Malta

by Glenn Bugeja, head of secretariat, Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Valletta
I refer to the letter entitled More Discrimination Against Maltese (May 20). Kindly allow me to clarify the situation with regard to the issuing of European health insurance cards (EHIC) for foreigners residing in Malta.
I can confirm that the EHIC, issued for foreigners qualifying for a certificate of entitlement from our office on the basis of their €121 or €109, is issued for a one-year period rather than the usual three years………..'
Source: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … lta.258428
This, of course, is illegal.

So, if you are a non-Maltese EU/EEA/Swiss citizen - eligible for a local EHIC - and the Maltese authorities attempt to issue you with an EHIC with a validity period of less than the 3 years granted to Maltese nationals, file a petition with the European Parliament Committee on Petitions online in any of the official languages of the European Union.

Simply click on this internet link to do so:

https://www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/a … ition.html

assuming you can get one at all........ RHA holders cannot

hi

I lived in Spain for several years and pay Ni there so my EHIC was issued by the Spanish but only lasted for one year. Someone I know you lives in France was the same but this may have changed.

Regards
Elise

Hi Elise,

the EHIC card is only valid as long as (national)insurance contributions are actually being paid. So if you leave an EU  country and stop paying the contributions your EHIC card is not valid anymore even if it was originally valid for one year or even longer.

That is exactly the reason why Malta only gives a one year validity to EHIC cards issued to foreigners because so many leave Malta and keep on using the card even if this is not legal under EU law.

Cheers
Ricky

Ps its EHIC or EHI card, but not EHIC card

......right George -)))

In Germany it is called :

Europäische Krankenversicherungskarte but it is issued as part of my BEK  'Gesundheitskarte' so in Germany it is actually a 'double' card.

Mine is actually valid until December 2017 , but only as long as I pay the rates. Otherwise it expires immediatly .

Cheers
Ricky

So is yours valid even if you are not resident in Germany, Ricky ?

Hi George,

yes, because as a German pensioner I'm still paying my contributions in Germany. I could transfer my entitlement to Malta and get the EHI card from Malta but for personal reasons I prefer to keep my insurance in Germany running and pay private here in Malta.

So mine is technically not valid in Malta but everywhere else in the EU unless I pretend to be a tourist in Malta -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Got it :-)

Hi Ricky,

Yes I know and in fact agree, but was referring to Byron49 note about it being valid for 3 years and if not to sign petition. By the sounds of things all cards issue to foreigners in any eu country are only a year!

enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

Elise

Fusspot wrote:

Hi Ricky,

Yes I know and in fact agree, but was referring to Byron49 note about it being valid for 3 years and if not to sign petition. By the sounds of things all cards issue to foreigners in any eu country are only a year!

enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

Elise

Rebuttal of the Maltese authorities' stance in this matter:

If, as the head of secretariat, Parliamentary Secretary for Health claims, non-Maltese EU citizens leave Malta and continue to use the locally issued European health insurance cards to cover their healthcare requirements in other EU member states, why, therefore, do the Maltese authorities signally fail to apply identical administrative measures, on an annual basis, to ensure that Maltese nationals do not unduly avail of their locally issued EHICs to cover their healthcare requirements elsewhere in the EU, the costs of which are likewise borne by the competent Maltese authority?

It is the matter of identical administrative treatment which must be addressed and resolved in respect of the violation of EU laws pertaining to discrimination between or among EU citizens on the grounds of nationality/residence.