Prescription Medicine

I take eye drops daily for possible early onset glaucaoma.  It's 9$/month.  Does anyonne know If I will be able to get the equivalent eye drops in Corozal or just have it shipped monthly from the US?  Thanks John

Hi John A Miner,

I'm sure you will soon get a reply to your post :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

John

Your best bet is to contact a Belizean pharmacist directly. Many US prescriptions are not available on Belize's formulary--but there can be workarounds!

Catherine is the pharmacist/owner of Evergreen Pharmacy in Corozal.
Her email: [email protected]
....make sure you give her the Rx name (include the %) and dose.  Also, give her a couple of days to respond-she's a busy lady!

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much.

I will Email her presently.

I live in Corozal and also take drops for Glaucoma. I order on line from Wal-Mart and have my daughter ship them. I can order a 3 month supply. The drops are probably available here, but the supply is not always dependable.For Glaucoma I prefer a supplier I can depend on. Hope this helps

Can I ask, who are they shipped to? I'd like to have my mail sent here, but was told the post office is not a good place to have things sent to.

I have my mail forwarded from a commercial mail center in the US to my PO box here. Usually it arrives on a 2-3 week cycle. Haven't had a problem in the 6 yrs I have lived here, but thats not to say other folks haven't. As far as my meds, I have always been able to order with the delivery delay in mind. I have never run out, in fact I somehow have extra bottles.

Thank you, I know sometimes everybody has a different experience. Can I ask what it costs for a P.O. box at the post office.

Hawk   I can not remember how much it cost to get a po box, but it was not expensive and it was for a year.  I got one in early June.   They wanted to see a utility bill and some other IDs, but it was painless.  I too would like a US address as forwarder.  I had one in Aruba that had a MIami address and it worked well.
Kris

Thank you

Hawk,

If you need a secure way to have mail or packages sent from the USA to Belize, there is a private mail service on 4th Ave in Corozal, near A&R.  It's called You Have Mail.

http://www.youhavemail.bz/

You sign in to the service on-line and they give you a USA street address. You have your mail or packages sent to that US address in Florida, and they then have your items forwarded to Corozal.
They have either a once off rate (where you pay by the package or envelope)- or I think they also have a monthly service plan.

I use it to have items that I can't find or things I buy on Amazon, like art supplies shipped here. They also clear everything through customs.

It is just much easier when you are dealing with US or Canadian companies to give them a US address. No need to get family or friends to ship things to you.

We have a mail forwarder in Canada, that is likely doing the same in the USA - UPS stores. We are getting our mail forwarded once per month. We can ask for more often or less.

nichi   sometime this week we need to have lunch call me at 602-6938

This is a little different than a Canadian mail forwarder.  The problem is when the mail arrives in Belize, where do they send it?
Forwarding mail to a Belize PO box is often not an option, many buildings don't even have addresses.

This way, your mail gets sent to a US address ( where your items are secure). They ship it to Belize, where it gets cleared through customs and then it gets held for you in a secure location in Corozal. They also provide tracking on each item. They pay duty and GST  on the item, so you don't have to deal with customs either.  They just pass on the charges to you. You pick it up at the Corozal office.

So far this is the best solution that I have found.

I think there are a few companies doing that type of business, But as this is the one that I have tried, I can recommend it.