Job Opportunity

Hi, I am new to the forum so I hope I have posted this in the corrected place.

I am wanting some security advice regarding working in the Basra region, I have been offered a very good job opportunity with a large oil production company in Majnoon, Basra. I have been advised that there is full PSD and the accommodation is on a secure camp on site. It is also a 30 day rotation.

Please share your views and experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Hi md2808,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :D

I'm sure you will soon get a reply to your post

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thanks for the welcome.

I hope so anybody?  :D

Hi, I live and work in Basra. I am Iraqi and have worked in a very big oil industry company before and and now moved into another bigger one. Basra is safe for expetriates. my line manager used to get out in PSD and I have went with him several times because I was his personal assistant. The building of the company is in a very big camp with alot of other companies and it is out of Basra center and away from any fears or threats and it is well guarded by big international security companies.

Cheers
Zanoba

Hi Zainabmoody, thank you for reply most appreciated.

Hi .....

If the salary is good then take it... I think that you should read up on the area. I have never been there but I am sure it is a bit dangerous there so it is not advisable to think that you will be touring in that area of Iraq...

If you are the type of person that does not mind being holed up then you should bring anything that you are comfortable from home such as foods ex ( I love grits and oats) soup cookies even any special bread you like because you can freeze it.  Also medicines although there are a lot of items available here but not always easy to get your hands on. You can not go out at all in Baghdad and do not trust anybody there in theses areas Bosra, Baghdad and Mosel they kidnap foreigners...

The up side is Kurdistan it is beautiful and safe and lots to see.

ohhhh foreigners kidnapping too old fashioned...there is no more foreigners kidnapping in  basra and it did not happen since 2008, beside there are not too many big oil companies in Kurdistan as the ones in Basra...I mean it is up to you to choose...

At the moment I do not intend to travel to Basra centre markets etc, I will wait see what the situation is when/if I arrive there. Reading up on the Basra area it seems to be 1 on the few peaceful places in Iraq but like anywhere now I suppose you need to watch were you are going and who you associate yourself with.

Zanoba do you anymore regarding the camp in Manjnoon I believe it is heavily guarded and a few home comforts for expats.

Cheers
Mark

Dear Mark,

I was working exactly in Majnoon thats why I have answered you because I can give an image on the situation there. To be honest the way leading to Majnoon is a rural area and it is much like a counrty side full of farms and farmers who are living there. The camp is absolutely heavily guarded and even a bird can not fly there without access!! hahaha. The camp is the place where you will live and work and eat and sleep for the 30 days of your rotation and you are not allowed to go out unless it is necessary meeting or so. Normally, expats "big meetings only" are held in Basra Shiraton hotel. which is heavily guarded as well, and you will be accompanied by PSD convoy and wearing a flack jacket.

Zanoba

Thanks Zanoba you have been very helpful, I think I am going to accept the position.

Regards
Mark

You are most welcome, Good luck and all the best with your career. May be we will meet at some point because i am planning to move back to Majnoon becuase I am very spirutually linked to the big company working there and did not see such good people like the expats working there, though i have worked with alot of them in another places.

Zanoba

I know someone in Duhuk that needs a job in the Oil Industry he is American Kurdish could you please forward me an email address to who he can appy ......

my email is [email protected]

Take Care

Hi Zainabmoody,

Appreciate your comments about the British company Gulf Keystone Petroleum. Are you familiar with this company? thank you in advance.

regards

Hi,

British Petroleum works in Rumaila now, the biggest oil field in Iraq!! so imagine how big company it is.. The thing which distinguishes BP is the very high salaries for both nationals and internationals as well. Like all of the oil companies in Basra, it works inside a huge camp out of Basra. If you get an opportunity there, make sure you dont miss it or leave it..Grap it with your nails...hahaha

Cheers

Hi Zainabmoody,

I really appreciate your effort to answer me.

The company is Gulf Keystone Petroleum. Is that BP?

Actually I was hired by Gulf Keystone Petroleum in Erbil...

I would like to take this opportunity to ask you about banking system in erbil? are they open for opening account for salary, how about remittances and online banking? how about banking privileges like banks offering personal loans and credit cards?

appreciate your time to answer me....

regards

This is my first post here.

I've just applied for a position with BP, so I really appreciate the information.  I will definitely be accepting a position if it is offered, so have been looking for recent info on the BP project.

All of this is excellent to know and very much appreciated.  I love to travel and this position would pretty much be my dream job.

Thanks again!

Dear Denver,

You should be fine but it will be a life time experience that will be for sure.

Regards
Omar

[moderated: please post your advert in the jobs in Iraq section]

@buboy217 > please start a new topic on the Iraq forum and ask your questions. Thank you.

Hello;

I have been offered an Engineering Position for Iraq and I was told that I will be working for BP Iraq and employer is Petrofec. Its 28/28 Rotation job and will be staying at BP camp. Could anyone share their experiences in terms of Safety and BP- site assessment Iraq ?

Thanks

Rga

Hello rga1,

I also got the same offer from the same organization. If you find anything about the safety over there, please do let me know. I am also looking for the reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,
vk123

Hello;

I have been offered an Engineering Position for Iraq and I was told that I will be working for BP Iraq and employer is Petrofec. Its 28/28 Rotation job and will be staying at BP camp. Could anyone share their experiences in terms of Safety and BP- site assessment Iraq ?

Thanks

vk123

dear all,
I also got the same offer(designing field) from the same organization (petrofac). pls let me know whether Petrofac Office is with in BPROO.it is also part of BPROO security wing.

dear vk123 & rga 1,
pls share ur Information regarding this....my mail id is [email protected]

I have 14 years' experience in the field of Water, Waste water treatment plant, Sewage treatment plant biogas power plant, TTP/RO,D.M PLANT, COOLING TOWER,DISK FILLTER & S.B.R Technology .container RO plant. RO ZDP.

Hi kamal_gun2009,

This post has been inactive for more than 2 years. Are you looking for a job?

I'd request you to participate on the recently created topics or create a new one if you want further assistance from our members with regards to a specific subject.

Regards,

Sarvesh
expat.com team